Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-range fuel tanks

Afternoon all.......
    Has anyone got any idea if it is possible to buy and fit a long-range fuel tank to a 3.0 Surf?
    My range at present is about 250 miles or so. As I am now running biodiesel I don't really want to give the government and the petrol companies more of my hard earned money than I have to and so want to be able to have a bit more range on a tank and between fill ups, rather than having to use a petrol station, when I am at one end of a journey.
    I know in Australia long-range tanks are often fitted as a matter of course, especially in 'Cruisers.

You need to speak to Andylala on here......

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...light=andylala

Comment

Here you go...

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/=4Runner.asp

Check out Vehicle Accessories, Fuel Tanks...

Apparently, they do a replacement tank that is 134 ltrs... where that extends to I don't know, but the one for the single and crew cab pickups should give a clue. They also do 60ltr and 130ltr aux tanks... I've got the 60ltr aux tank in a '92 2nd gen. Works a treat, except when it comes to fill it up... fits like a glove... pictures on here somewhere...

Check with TonyN, if the frame rails and spare wheel gubbins are the same, and you have a particular sort of towbar (if at all) it should fit fine... bear in mind though that they aren't that cheap, and they do come from Aus... when they say 3 1/2 hrs to fit, they really mean it too. We hadn't seen one before, and it just went straight in... in about 2 3/4 hrs... I would certainly buy anymore kits those guys manufactured...

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll get on to it.
        Is that last comment WOULD buy or would NOT buy? 2 3/4 hours seems like a would not buy........................
        I bought a 5 speed Toyota Supra gearbox conversion for my Morgan Plus 8 from Aus and it was fantastic quality, so I am quite keen. Did all the ordering and shipping/import myself to save money.

Comment

That is a WOULD buy... they quoted over three hours to fit...

Comment

It's gonna have to be done. Just done my usual. Drove from Saffron Walden to Southampton and back with a bit of messing about down there (I do proper miles in the thing.....) I just don't trust the M25 with less than 1/4 tank. I could put some from a Jerry in while I'm down there but it's mess and a real shag using a drippy leaky Jerry pouring spout. Had to give a thieving petrol company money to be sure I'd get home when I have £100 of Bio at home.......AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG hHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
              it's mess and a real shag using a drippy leaky Jerry pouring spout.
              you need a small pump and a battery drill... put jerry can on floor and pump it in.
              Last edited by da SLUG man; 24 April 2006, 22:24.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

extra tank

i just got a shogun diesel tank from the breakers, sealed the guage hole,
                welded the filler kneck holes, had some hose made with 2 banjo unions that corresponded with the drain plug threads, put a tap half way down it (so's you can isolate either tank) hung it on 4 threaded rods from inside the boot floor, bingo! leave your filler cap slightly loose and the 2 tanks level out eventually. going to France with a caravan so I need to modify it slightly will get some photos posted up for you. tank cost £10 pipe cost £40 cheap enough I thought.

Comment

Working...
                X