Clear All

Just south of tidworth on the A338
    SU 234 465
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
      Just south of tidworth on the A338
      SU 234 465
      Are you serious, looks like you should be in trees from the map? Is the camera pointing east for the photo? erm and how dodgy is going in the managed access bit off byways? My numbers been taken once already, he said something about a £30 fine, do you see land wardens most times at weekends? looks a sweet load of tracks around there though.... verrry tempting
      PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
        Are you serious, looks like you should be in trees from the map? Is the camera pointing east for the photo? erm and how dodgy is going in the managed access bit off byways? My numbers been taken once already, he said something about a £30 fine, do you see land wardens most times at weekends? looks a sweet load of tracks around there though.... verrry tempting

If you're off-road, remove yer licence plates!!

Comment

Check with Danno as he was talking to the range warden on sunday
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

My numbers been taken once already, he said something about a £30 fine, do you see land wardens most times at weekends?
            Were you stuck in the bustard puddle at the time .......And yes they all work weekends or whenever the plain is open to the public

Vince the plain is mod land and licence plates must be displayed
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

yep we were stuck in the puddle, which apparently isn't on the byway that looks like it should be there. Guess we'll try not to get close to them over there and try blagging our way out if we do get stopped. £30 is less than half a tank of fuel so these days it doesn't seem a great risk to take.

So it was that managed access area where the photo was taken? Will check it out, a lot of tracks through woods should give plenty of cover.

Comment

Best way to find out any access issues is to talk to the range wardens they are not Ogers (allthough they may look like one) and they are very helpful
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

they are not very helpfull if you get stuck, there were 4 landrovers full of them when i was up to my arse in puddle and they drove off and left us too it. Cheers lads!

Still, i'll see how it goes next time i meet one.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    good idea!
                    better if you have rick and jon on the bonnet to give extra height for photo purposes though!
                    Grass!!!! It looked such a good photo as well!
                    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Stay to the byways and the graded MOD roads only. Its not just a £30 fine fine, they can impound your vehicle. Plus you get the added bonus of unexploded ordnance lying around which will make a mess of your truck. Also shell casings can go through a tyre very easily. Its the most common cause of punctures, even on the byways.

The Land Wardens are out everyday and you are likely to come across one at some point. They lurk in the usual places that get abused. And no they won't rescue you unless they take a large back hander! Usual offroading rules apply. DONT GO ALONE. DONT GO INTO WATER UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW DEEP IT IS!! etc. All byways BOATS or RUPPS and MOD land are covered by the road traffic act. That means MOT, tax and insurance, speed limits do apply of 30 MPH on MOD land. Land Wardens carry speed guns and can issue speeding tickets to the public and MOD personnel.

Its not very clever upsetting these guys. They are lenient to most sensible (not saying you are reckless ) offroaders, but the more ammo they have the worse its going to get. More of the plains byways are gettin shut because of irresponsible driving and bikes.

"The Hill" is one of those areas that arent public access but can be used occasionally and a blind eye is normally turned on that route.

Go drive it tho. Its a good run. Come up the hill from the tank crossing north of Shipton. At the top turn right along whats shown as a footpath for about 200 yds then right again, down the RUPP back to the road.
                      Last edited by Danno; 28 April 2006, 12:53.
                      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

remember the first time we did the hill!!...

i took the right hand lane up and over that bit at about 30mph!...
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                        X