Fabric or other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric or other

Hi Everybods, I've made these speaker pods and am now stuck as to what to cover em with, I'm cr@p at covering odd shapes with stuff like leather cloth,
    carpet etc, So is there any kind of stretch material (grey or black) you know of that would look ok, Failing that is there any texture type paint (not artex)
    you can reccomend, Im also thinking about replaceing the carpet, Got a quote of £69 plus £7.50 post (ebay) for 6mt X 2mt in black or grey, That'll
    give me plenty to do the back and up the sides a bit, He says its resine
    backed auto carpet and moulds well to shape, Any tips on fitting would be
    appreceiated,
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

wat about speaker cloth , its black and stretchy
    Cheers
    Scotty

Drink Jagermeister Responsibly

Comment

That sounds like the stuff, Do they sell it a the likes of halfords, maplins,etc

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Speaker-...QQcmdZViewItem

if ur quick
        Cheers
        Scotty

Comment

Cheers Scotty, I'm on it, Thanks very much

Comment

No worries, anytime
            Cheers
            Scotty

Comment

Alternate suggestion...

First off, tidy job nicely done. Another masterpiece...

Make the front panel, the one that you are going to mount your speaker to... again... cover that in speaker cloth... (after spraying it matt black of course...) This will then velcro on nicely if you haven't got any speaker grills for your speakers... if you have ignore that.

(this is where I should have looked at the images first) Then cover your builds in sweatshirt material... soak that in fiberglass resin. bit of fine filler and smoothed out... and a little bit of stretchy speaker carpet... job done... They look a bit steep to cover in leatherette...

***edit***

reminder to self, look at images before spouting.

Stretchy speaker carpet is your best bet... Wish you had mentioned this before... I usually recommend making the bases about 3" wider than the top section, then go the sweatshirt material and resin route... Much quicker and with stretchy carpet you can hardly tell... And they are strong enough to take a real bashing...
              Last edited by AndyLala; 18 April 2006, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                Hi Everybods, I've made these speaker pods and am now stuck as to what to cover em with, I'm cr@p at covering odd shapes with stuff like leather cloth,
                carpet etc, So is there any kind of stretch material (grey or black) you know of that would look ok, Failing that is there any texture type paint (not artex)
                you can reccomend, Im also thinking about replaceing the carpet, Got a quote of £69 plus £7.50 post (ebay) for 6mt X 2mt in black or grey, That'll
                give me plenty to do the back and up the sides a bit, He says its resine
                backed auto carpet and moulds well to shape, Any tips on fitting would be
                appreceiated,

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8219
                http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...u=y&DOY=search
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 19 April 2006, 00:47.

Comment

Cheers guys,Got some of that speaker material on its way so im sorted on that, Pity i could'nt get the same material as the door cards, I was wondering if they still did that crinkle finish paint!
                  Still in two minds about the carpet though, Take the old one out and clean it or replace it in black which is what i'd like to do, Its moulding it over that raised and curved bit where the rear seats start thats worrying me
                  Ian

Comment

Thats were the stretchy carpet comes into its own... usually goes more one way than the other, but if you get it right... looks fairly tidy...

Comment

I bought some black car carpet for my Triumph Spitfire a few years back, it was quite stiff to fit but you need to warm it up with a hot air gun and then it can be smoothed into internal and external curved shapes, then when it cools it stays in that shape.

Comment

I am half way through covering my center consol with Black Italian calf leather,it stetches really well,and will conform to most curves, ( with a little stiching here and there) it looks dead cool, just might carry on and leather the whole dash,! feels good too, no puns intended or wanted !!!!!
                        I often recover steering wheels, just got a bit carried awaywith this job.
                        Will post some photo's when its finished if anyones interested.
                        as per covering your speaker consols,,mmmm leather might cost a few more shekles but it does look the part,,,if you want to send them up I will do them for you
                        Martin
                        over the hills and far away

Comment

pictures and templates please!!!
                          any tips on websites for leather?
                          i keep getting funny looks buying er leather things from charity shops.
                          (i am allowed to, its for making falconry stuff! no purves here.)
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

come to me for anything leather,,have a gander at my sites,,will be pleased to help
                            www.mlworkshop.co.uk
                            www.celticsaddles.fsnet.co.uk
                            might start a new leather surfin craze???,,just let me know what you need.
                            Martin
                            over the leathery hills and far away

Comment

once you're done do you fancy making me some pods lol!
                              I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X