brake change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake change

is it very hard to change the brakes on a hilux surf, took it in to kingsway tyres and they said they could not do it. did not have the tools to do it. i dont know if he was referring to the workers or the equipment. any way could i change disc and brake pads my self , do i need any specail tools .and what are the bast disc and brakes to get.

many thanks

Originally posted by safysurfer
    is it very hard to change the brakes on a hilux surf, took it in to kingsway tyres and they said they could not do it. did not have the tools to do it. i dont know if he was referring to the workers or the equipment. any way could i change disc and brake pads my self , do i need any specail tools .and what are the bast disc and brakes to get.

many thanks
    its an easy job to do...just take your time no speacial tools are required..

you can get the parts here http://www.milneroffroad.com/

or here http://www.roughtrax4x4.co.uk/
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I managed to do it and I'm a prize plum!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi Colin

The front brakes are very easy just like any other car.

The back ones are another story.

Ok if you are used to fitting brakes to lorries but no good if you don't have the strength of Garth or the patience to get it right.

I had a Charlie Brown fitter cock mine up big style. But as the advert says you can't get better than a Quick Fit fitter.
        A good fitter will do an excellent job and won't charge the earth.

Regards

Steve

Comment

The rear brakes are not too bad, as long as you remember to slacken off the self adjusters, so you can get the drum past the lip that forms where the drum wears slightly.
          Taking pics with the digi camera or mobile phone, as you dismantle, is a good idea so you can see how everything was before you pulled it apart.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

i find that the rear brakes are no diffrent to any other car if youve done them before you wont have any probs...
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by safysurfer
              is it very hard to change the brakes on a hilux surf, took it in to kingsway tyres and they said they could not do it. did not have the tools to do it.

Christ!!!!! Don't ever take your truck there to have tyres fitted then!!

Comment

On the web site are good write ups on replacing stuff on the Surf, wheel bearing, head, rear shoes etc etc

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/v...at=1&submit=Go
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

On the subject of changing pads/shoes -what is the wear limit for both?? Only my brake warning light comes on when I accelerate sharply - due to the lack of fluid in the reservior - due to the pads getting low?
                  Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Fluid. The brakes pads have an audible warning for when they get low/worn.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      Fluid. The brakes pads have an audible warning for when they get low/worn.
                      Yeah that's right - a sort of low grinding grating noise coupled with the inability to slow you down. hmmm off to halfords me thinks!!!
                      Cheers!
                      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

thanks for all your help peaple, will let you know how i get on when i do it . if they work !!!!!!

Comment

It's been two months now, can we assume that your brakes didn't work the last time you tried an emergency stop?????

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            It's been two months now, can we assume that your brakes didn't work the last time you tried an emergency stop?????
                            Excuse me for hijacking but Hi Vince! How you doin? Posted a concerned the other week as we had'nt heard anything, Everything OK mate? Ian
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ian me old mate!

Yep, everythings fine here, we had no internet connection for a few weeks 'cos of a dispute with our ISP. We were being charged twice for some reason only known to them! All sorted now tho.
                              How's the shuttle, er Surf mods going? I'll have to sift through some of you previous posts I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X