any tips on towing caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on towing caravan

i have had my new towbar fitted,any advice on towing my caravan ,my surf is a 2.4 td auto,, gears ect

Don't do this.......http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...86C3491BF3.htm

Comment

So that is how The CC decide on tow car of the year!

The only advice I can give about towing with the 2.4L Surf is the same as for most cars. Get the noseweight about right for the truck (70 - 80Kg I believe).
      Make sure that your coolant is well topped up before you set off . Don't rely on the level in the expansion bottle, but take the rad cap off when it is cold. If it needs topping up run the engine and burp the pipes as necessary. A clue that you might have an airlock is that the temp guage will wander up and down. If you have front and rear heaters they will alterrnately get hot.
      Apart from a little hiccup, when I didn't do the above, towing with ours has been trouble-free.

Good luck.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by flojoe
        i have had my new towbar fitted,any advice on towing my caravan ,my surf is a 2.4 td auto,, gears ect
        I recommend you connect the caravan to the towbar before setting off
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Try wading through this lot. Should answer most queries. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=Surf+towing
          Mike G

Comment

DONT GO TOO FAST
            zacco

Comment

Er, dont do what a colleague of mine did, or rather what he didnt do..........

slow down for speed humps !!!!!!

Otherwise you could find that the price of the bus shelter next to the speed hump is rather expensive...............gulp !!!

SLOW DOWN in plenty of time, use your engine to slow down two or three times earlier than you normally would. Braking normally will be more excessive, causing your brakes to heat up and be less efficient.

Speed limits change when towing, 60 mph max speed anywhere, ie, motorways and dual carriageways.
              On single carriageways in a national speed limit, it drops from 60 to 50 mph when towing.

Use your gear settings more than normal in an automatic, going downhill restrict it to whatever gear you need early, rather than relying on your auto gearbox to restict you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                I recommend you connect the caravan to the towbar before setting off
                and if you did Pray its still there when you get where your going too
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

make sure it aint a static caravan
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Fot loads of info on towing have a look at the following web site. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/default.asp
                    We tow a twin axle caravan with a 3.0 L diesel Surf and no problems. However as you have the 2.4 L engine, going by the number of threads on the head blowing, make sure you have the new modified head.
                    In addition, join the Caravan Club, then join their Mayday breakdown recovery service. In the event of a breakdown, they will take you and your family plus caravan to your intended destination. If you were on your way to holiday, they can take you to the site, leave you there and then collect you after your holiday.

Comment

check the tyres before you leave... the amount of idiots i see with bouncing trailers on flat tyres...

or do what i do when towing plant on a 26tonner and can't see the trailer... forget about it and hope for the best!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

haha... please dont do 20mph no matter what road your on like all the Grockles do that come down to our village for the Hols!! GRRRR so anoying!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobyman2000
                          haha... please dont do 20mph no matter what road your on like all the Grockles do that come down to our village for the Hols!! GRRRR so anoying!!
                          here here
                          atleast they are on there way home until next half term , we only got one main road into wales and at bank holiday weekends it becomes a caravan carpark

re towing a caravan for the sake of £10 get your viscous fan topped up or locked up, it has cured all the probs i had with mine.
                          john
                          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

ALSO check our own thread out http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2931
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X