Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff wheel carrier

Hi,

My rear mounted wheel carrier is now almost impossible to open and close. Ive tried WD40 onthe hinges but I guess it need grease or something. hat do i need to do to free it up. Could it be something other than justlack of grease thats causing the problem?
    any help appreciated

On the 3rd Gens (can't remember 'bout the 2nd) there is a hole in each hinge which you can grease thru if you have suitable equipment, don't know if this is relevant to you as your profile gives us no clue as to the vehicle/gen you have, hint, hint

Has it become increasingly stiffer, or was this a sudden change? If so it could possibly be due to damage to the frame of the carrier or on the vehicle causing the hinges to bind.

Otherwise keep lashing the wd40 at it whilst working the hinge open and closed to try and free it up.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

thanks Maurice,

its a 1996 3rd Gen and it was a gradual thing rather than sudden so dont think it was anyone banging into it. will try grease it through the holes and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by fergus
        thanks Maurice,

its a 1996 3rd Gen and it was a gradual thing rather than sudden so dont think it was anyone banging into it. will try grease it through the holes and see what happens
        To get the grease into the holes efficiently what you need is a greasegun used to grease the bar on a chainsaw. They are available from a chainsaw service centre or tool shop and cost about a fiver. They have a fine tip which fits the holes perfectly and allows you to pump grease right into the swivel point.
        Keith

Comment

Working...
        X