Supplying overalls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplying overalls?

I work at an engineering company and the company who supplies the overalls are packing in. At the moment my employer contributes to my weekly overall bill, after meeting a couple of other suppliers they have said it has become way to expensive. My question is 'are they obliged to supply us with overalls due the possibility of hot working eg welding, flame cutting?' I know it a boring subject but im pooling a wealth of knowledge here!
    Last edited by den 22; 12 April 2006, 07:58.

Originally posted by den 22
    I work at an engineering company and the company who supplies the overalls are packing in. At the moment my employer contributes to my weekly overall bill, after meeting a couple of other suppliers they have said it has become way to expensive. My question is 'are they obliged to supply us with overalls due the possibility of hot working eg welding, flame cutting?' I know it a boring subject but im pooling a wealth of knowledge here!
    i think you will find that they are responsible to provide suitable ppe
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i think you will find that they are responsible to provide suitable ppe
      here is a company we use on the railway they supply everthing from flame retardant overalls to boots to thermals.give the guy a ring and see what he has to say about what they supply
      Last edited by stormforce; 12 October 2008, 21:25.

Comment

In my previous job I was part responsible for Health & Safety in my department.
        I suggest you read the PPE at Work Regulations 1992.

It basically says that personal protective equipment is to be supplied and used at work wherever there are risks to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled in other ways. It goes on to say about assessing PPE before use to make sure its suitable for the purpose, is maintained and stored correctly. Also that its supplied with instructions on how to use it safely and correctly by employees.
        And no they can't legally charge you for supplying it but could in the conditions say on termination of employment it has to be returned or they can then deduct the cost of a replacement from any monies they owe you if you fail to return it.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Yep. I work most the time in an office and some of the time on building sites and my work buys me new boots, hat, hi-vis etc etc every single year even though I own my own stuff. They even buy me a coat.

That's not because they're nice, it's because they have to. And quite right too.

Comment

So am i right in assuming that ppe has to be available to all to be used when needed. As in the case of fire proof overalls, there could be sets available for individuals to use as and when needed not just supplied 'on tap' as such?

Comment

So am i right in assuming that ppe has to be available to all to be used when needed. As in the case of fire proof overalls, there could be sets available for individuals to use as and when needed not just supplied 'on tap' as such?
              each person to be issued with their own ppe and to be used as when required for whatever job your doing at the time

Comment

Just a useless mention while were on the subject of overalls.

Dont know if anyone is aware of this, but, if your place of work issues you with work attire (ie overalls) and they have a company logo on, then you are entitled to a tax reduction for the laundering of the slothing at your expense.

The usual way around this for companies, is that they pay for the launder of the overalls themselves, thus saving them a hefty tax bill.

I know this because when i was in the forces, when someone challenged it in court, the MOD had to back down because it was the law, and those of us who had been in longer than 5 years, got a £400 tax refund for all the times we were laundering work clothes at our own expense! Now the MOD launders work attire for free.

Oh, and yes, your employer IS responsible for supplying you with suitable protection for the work that you do. It is your responsibility to keep it all in good order and repair or replace as necessary (although replacement is at employers cost if fair wear and tear).

Comment

Is it also true that they need to supply you with suitable hand cleaner if you work in a mucky enviroment? or even latex gloves to stop your hands getting dirty?
                  Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

Comment

Yes it is. It is your employers responsibility to protect you at work, which means protect from the likes of dermatitis if you work with oils or detergents.

Now its your employers responsibility choice to provide what he deems a suitable protection, but he has to do it. He could provide barrier creams, after work creams, hand cleansers, or he could provide vinyl or latex gloves.

He doesnt have to provide you with gloves simply to keep your hands clean, as dirt isnt really a hazard. But if that dirt was oil or diesel for example, then he should do, as these as classed as hazardous substances, and therefore hazardous to your health (or skin in this case!). But if you get your hands dirty at work (ie general dirt), then he has to provide some form of cleanser for the removal of said muck !

It all depends on your type of work, and what hazards they prevent to you.

If your employer provides you with nothing, try discussing it with him, if that fails, try speaking to the Citizens Advice Bureau about your rights. If you dont want a confrontation with your employer, a good way around it, but costs you, is to join the GMB and then get them to do the dirty work for you.
                    Last edited by Big Bad Runner; 12 April 2006, 06:42.

Comment

Boots

I've just raised a similar question at my place of work regarding safety shoes/boots, at my last place everyone (office & shopfloor) was entitled to one free pair of safety footware a year. At my current Company, as I am office based I do not qualify.
                      However my job can and does entail me having to visit work sites and stores area's as and when required. When I asked for clairification from our H&S commitee I have been advised that should I be required to enter such area I am to carry out a risk assessment to see if there is the likelihood of danger to my feet, and if that is the case then I can get order my free boots!

Not much use when the goods inwards guy requests the pleasure of my company straight away because of a dodgy shipment from one of my suppliers has arrived!!
                      Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Martin
                        When I asked for clairification from our H&S commitee I have been advised that should I be required to enter such area I am to carry out a risk assessment to see if there is the likelihood of danger to my feet, and if that is the case then I can get order my free boots!

Not much use when the goods inwards guy requests the pleasure of my company straight away because of a dodgy shipment from one of my suppliers has arrived!!
                        This being the situation, I would suggest that your H&S committee rep is talking utter ballcocks! If the people who normally work in those areas are required to wear safety footwear, then that is because their Risk Assessment (formal or informal) says they have to. That being so, the same Risk Assessment will apply to visitors as well. Ergo, you should be wearing safety footwear, and your employer is obliged to supply it.

PPE at Work Regs, 1992, as amended 2002: Regulation 4:
                        Every employer SHALL ensure that suitable PPE is provided for their employees who may be exposed to risks to their health and safety, except where it has been adequately or more effectively controlled by other means.

Note the SHALL (my capitalisation) - this imposes an absolute duty: there are no ifs or buts. PPE is required, under the Management of Health & Safety at Work regulations 1999, as amended 2003, to be the last choice of protective measures, once all other measures have been applied - this is the reasonn for the "except where..." bit.

Bottom line - if you have to enter areas where safety footwear is required for people who normally work there, then you should also wear it.
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Don't know if these guys can help with what you're after.. http://www.aspli.com/product_list.asp?cat1=44

Comment

They are legaly obliged to supply you with PPE. They ahve to carry out a risk assessment first if the task being assessd requires PPE then they must give it. If they decide that it dont need it, then they have to give you an alternative control to stop you getting injured.
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                              They are legaly obliged to supply you with PPE. They ahve to carry out a risk assessment first if the task being assessd requires PPE then they must give it. If they decide that it dont need it, then they have to give you an alternative control to stop you getting injured.
                              According to the Management Regs, PPE has to be last in the heirarchy of controls - the alternative controls should be in place FIRST:
                              A good mnemonic is PIGS RISE

Elimination - remove the hazard entirely
                              Substitution - replace the hazard with something less dangerous
                              Isolation - remove the people from the hazard or vice versa
                              Reduction - of exposure to the hazard - either levels or duration

Safe systems of work - good working methods to alleviate hazards
                              Good housekeeping
                              Information, supervision and training
                              PPE

PPE is the very bottom of the controls heirarchy - not the first response.
                              Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                              X