Third brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third brake light

After pulling the inside of the surf apart, to upgrade the speakers in the rear. i was looking around at all the little connectors in the roof part, where the window motor is. I noticed a two pined connector, put a couple of wires onto it and a bulb and it's for the third brake light. Great. Next problem is now i know it's there, where do i fix the light.
    I could put inside, but would it still be bright enough outside. Plus with the windows tinted would it work like a mirror and flood the inside with red light?
    Or do i find a way to put it outside. Seen lots with it in spoiler, are easy to get hold of, and are they easy to fit?
    Does anyone know if you could do a design like a freelander, so it sits on top of the spare tyre?
    Jim
    i like it muddy!

I got a "Ring" one from Halfords. Unfortunately for some reason its quite expensive compared to some others, but it was the only one I found that was suitable. Took the mount off it and then used two self-tappers to attach it to the interior trim:

Like you said, the tinted rear window does darken it (especially during the day) but I just reckon its still better than nothing and perfectly visible at night. No real problems with glare inside the vehicle - its quite close to the glass.

Thought about a spoiler one but originals are impossible to get hold of and third-party ones I didnt like the look of - plus the expense/hassle of painting/fitting etc.
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Cheers, That gives me some thing to play with on sunday.
      i like it muddy!

Comment

That one is something like £30 at Halfords, compared with others there for about £10! but the cheap ones were not suitable for fitting flush and would hang down further.

Not been able to find one on-line or on ebay (I need a replacement as I smashed it the other day when I chucked my spare wheel into the back!)

If you find one like that anywhere cheaper than £30 can you post the details.

Ta
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
          I got a "Ring" one from Halfords. Unfortunately for some reason its quite expensive compared to some others, but it was the only one I found that was suitable. Took the mount off it and then used two self-tappers to attach it to the interior trim:

Like you said, the tinted rear window does darken it (especially during the day) but I just reckon its still better than nothing and perfectly visible at night. No real problems with glare inside the vehicle - its quite close to the glass.

Thought about a spoiler one but originals are impossible to get hold of and third-party ones I didnt like the look of - plus the expense/hassle of painting/fitting etc.

I have one mounted inside like the one in that pic, but I've cut out a section in the rear window tint film the same dimensions as the stop light.
          Attached Files

Comment

I got a cheap and nasty one which hangs down a bit, this isn't too much of a problem due to the dog guard, as you can see below. The reflection inside isn't too bad but my tinting is not extreme, also I use it to check that the brake light is working.
            Attached Files
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Bushwhacker man,
              You have got your fog lights inset into your bumper, did you do that yourself?
              Looks better than mine just hanging down under the truck.
              i like it muddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                I got a cheap and nasty one which hangs down a bit, this isn't too much of a problem due to the dog guard, as you can see below. The reflection inside isn't too bad but my tinting is not extreme, also I use it to check that the brake light is working.

Thats the same one as mine. I fitted it with the rear window closed so that I could get it as close to the glass as possible so I get hardly any reflection back into the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by it's Jim
                  Bushwhacker man,
                  I got details on my site of how I did mine:
                  http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/foglights.htm
                  No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by it's Jim
                    Bushwhacker man,

Yup. I got some cheapie £3.99 foglights, removed the red lens and marked around them onto the bumper and cut out the hole with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade (obviously!) then drilled holes for the mounting bolts under neath.

Comment

I fitted some surface mounted chrome surrounded LED lights to replace yet another broken fog light. They look good but I think they may not be bright enougth for the MOT, I'll have to check with the tester before the time comes.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                        That one is something like £30 at Halfords, compared with others there for about £10! but the cheap ones were not suitable for fitting flush and would hang down further.

Not been able to find one on-line or on ebay (I need a replacement as I smashed it the other day when I chucked my spare wheel into the back!)

If you find one like that anywhere cheaper than £30 can you post the details.

Ta
                        http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=CP03289&N=411

Matt

Comment

3rd Brake Light

I Bought One From Toyota At Collyweston In Liecstershire, Proper Brake Light Pod Which Sits On The Roof, As Fitted To U.s. Fourrunners............have A Look On Some Of The U.s. Sites

Regards Banana

Comment

3rd Brake Light

NOT A CLEAR PIC, BUT GIVES YOU AN IDEA

REGARDS BANANA
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X