How High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How High

How high can I safely afford to higher my suspension without effecting the towing of my caravan? Is 2" ok?

I have also noticed some sag in the rear end when the caravan is hooked up, will new shocks alone sort this out or will I need new springs aswell?

Thanks in advance

springs

Only new springs will help with sag as shock absorbers are just as they say shock absorbers milners do a pair of uprated spring for 40 quid
    fitted some to my pajero when i had one they were a good buy.
    going to fit some to my surf.

Comment

Hi Flip Flop

I've just done the 2" lift and I also have the same problem with the towing. My original tow height was a bit high, so now i'm looking to drop about 3" to 4" . I shall be looking for information on the adjustable tow hitches with the intention of removal for off roading. If I can't remove the tow hitch easily it defeats the object of the lift for off roading.

Geoff.
      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
        Hi Flip Flop

I've just done the 2" lift and I also have the same problem with the towing. My original tow height was a bit high, so now i'm looking to drop about 3" to 4" . I shall be looking for information on the adjustable tow hitches with the intention of removal for off roading. If I can't remove the tow hitch easily it defeats the object of the lift for off roading.

Geoff.
        hey guys cant you just bolt a plate on with couple holes lower to bolt tow hitch on. then 2 bolts and she,s off again for OFF ROADING
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Low towball

Originally posted by popbriscoe
          hey guys cant you just bolt a plate on with couple holes lower to bolt tow hitch on. then 2 bolts and she,s off again for OFF ROADING
          Yes your right Pop. Mine was allready droped about 3" so we are talking about droping it to 7". Plus you have got 2" lower still for the stabiliser below that. My options are make a 1" thick drop plate to suit (as the standard one is 3/8") and take it off every, time but the leverage on that 7" plate clamped by two bolts is a lot. Plus I have then got to bolt back the bumper plate holding the electric sockets. All in all not the end of the world. My second option is to buy an adjustable tow coupling that I have a picture of for 4x4's, held by one large pin. Then buy an AL-KO stabiliser coupling ( I,d like one of those anyway £189 ) and then fix the electrics to a permanent position. The real problem is will the adjustable coupling drop low enough and be safe.?

Geoff
          Last edited by rubblebags; 24 December 2003, 17:21.
          Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Yes your right Pop. Mine was allready droped about 3" so we are talking about droping it to 7". Plus you have got 2" lower still for the stabiliser below that. My options are make a 1" thick drop plate to suit (as the standard one is 3/8") and take it off every, time but the leverage on that 7" plate clamped by two bolts is a lot. Plus I have then got to bolt back the bumper plate holding the electric sockets. All in all not the end of the world. My second option is to buy an adjustable tow coupling that I have a picture of for 4x4's, held by one large pin. Then buy an AL-KO stabiliser coupling ( I,d like one of those anyway £189 ) and then fix the electrics to a permanent position. The real problem is will the adjustable coupling drop low enough and be safe.?

Geoff
            mmmm bit of a dilemma, wot to do why not throw this one to the possee to see what they can come up with
            Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
              mmmm bit of a dilemma, wot to do why not throw this one to the possee to see what they can come up with
              yep I cant be the only one on this planet with this problem. ??
              Just have to wait and see . I've started saving my pennies any way.

Geoff
              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

yep I cant be the only one on this planet with this problem. ??
                Just have to wait and see . I've started saving my pennies any way.

Geoff
                good man, have a good xmas geoff.
                martin
                Pops

Comment

Geoff
                  what you need it a pull out towbar, you might have seen one on a transit tipper or sometimes lorrys have them fitted, square box tubing, slides inside another, then 2 pins fits through to keep it in position
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                    what you need it a pull out towbar, you might have seen one on a transit tipper or sometimes lorrys have them fitted, square box tubing, slides inside another, then 2 pins fits through to keep it in position
                    Hi Ian

thanks for that info it looks like I might have to fabricate something along those lines. Theres atransit tipper accross the road but no towbar on it just full of garden crap. I'll have a look on the web and see if I can find anything.

Cheers Geoff.
                    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Hi Flip Flop

Geoff.
                      Thanks for the replies and advice, if I read you all correctly I am better off steering away from a 2" lift if I tow a caravan?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Flop
                        Thanks for the replies and advice, if I read you all correctly I am better off steering away from a 2" lift if I tow a caravan?

Thanks again
                        I used a Dixon bate adjusterble hitch on my Disco (slides up 'n' down) just fix the smaller bit to the car and the slider to the ball (Might need to drill out the holes).
                        Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

I think you must have earned the record for dredging up the oldest thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                            I think you must have earned the record for dredging up the oldest thread.
                            I thank you, (Ba-dum tish)
                            Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

i got one of these off eblag

was about £40

cheers scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X