Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Pickup..a few questions

Hi All

Looking to buy a 96,2.4 diesel hilux pickup.
    Its just a toy to tinker with and get very dirty.

What are the common, potential problems to look at when buying?.

Is it possible to Chassis lift, Easier or harder than a surf to do ?.

Would appreciate any input or comments.

Ta
    Darren

Originally posted by red harry
    Hi All

Looking to buy a 96,2.4 diesel hilux pickup.
    Its just a toy to tinker with and get very dirty.

What are the common, potential problems to look at when buying?.

Is it possible to Chassis lift, Easier or harder than a surf to do ?.

Would appreciate any input or comments.

Ta
    Darren
    Don't know if it's of any intrest but have you seen this?
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20743
    You aint seen me, right

Comment

Yep seen that, very nice truck indeed, very tempting.
      A touch out of my price range.

But just looking at cheap(ish) and cheerful truck to play with, have found one in price range. Just want to know what historical or even potential problems to look at, and weahter it is easy to do a chassis lift on it.

Comment

Yep seen that, very nice truck indeed, very tempting.
        A touch out of my price range.

But just looking at cheap(ish) and cheerful truck to play with, have found one in price range. Just want to know what historical or even potential problems to look at, and weahter it is easy to do a chassis lift on it.
        Fair enough, I personally think the price is a little on the high side too, but try telling my mate that!
        As for ease of working on them I think they're fairly similar to surfs, best person to talk to is TonyN.
        You aint seen me, right

Comment

if i'm right a '96 uk spec truck should have a solid front axel with leaf springs front and rear. this is a good solid set up (i want to swap in a solid axel to replace the IFS on my hilux, not that its that bad off road i just want one!) easiest way to lift one of these a little is extended shackles all round good for about an inch and a half which will clear 32 11.50r15s. this is the set up I ran on my ptrevious hilux for about 3 years before selling it to buy my current truck.
          i had no real probs with mine and that was SERIOUSLY abused off road, cant speak for the engine as mine was a 2ltr pertol, easy truck to work on. check bump stops on leaf springs as if they're missing its an mot fail, also check condition of the bearing support half way along rear propshaft.check for play in the drag link from the steering box to the r/h steering knuckle, should be a little play as its built with springs in but to much slop indicates wear. these were the last probs on mine when i sold it not hard to fix, parts readily available from milners or roughtrax.
          hope this helps, great trucks get a got set of tyres and it'll be virtually unstoppable and nearly indestructable, "top gear tested!"
          Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Thanks very much for your help and for your rapid response.

A lot of useful info.

Would luv that truck tho, but the wife may do her nut!!

Comment

Thanks very much for your help and for your rapid response.

A lot of useful info.

Would luv that truck tho, but the wife may do her nut!!
              go on you know it make sence! its just like my one.........................

when i got it!
              paid £8,500 for that 3yrs ago could find one for love or money then so rarity pushed up the price abit, within six months couldn't move for them, oh well i'm happy, not gona' sell her anyway.
              Attached Files
              Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
              X