Web site builder wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web site builder wanted

About time my business came into 21st century, so looking to get a website up and running. Just one hicup, I aint got a clue.

Anyone out there into that sort of thing fancy the job ? Dont need anything fancy just bit of advertising and e mail link.
    Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

If it’s just a simple page you are after, just use word. Sort the word doc out just as you want it with pictures hyperlinks and e-mail address' then just save as a web page (File - save as - then choose web page and save it as “index.html”) save it in a nice clean directory so you know what its saved as it will be more than one file. It should be your file index.html plus a directory to go with it.

Other than this you could get suck in to some proper authoring tools but word will prob fit you bill rather well..... Providing you have word that is.

One you have saved it, you then need to get those files on the web.

You have some free web space with your e-mail account? If yes find out what the address of it is. Now instead of typing the address http://www.etc.etc you type ftp://www.etc.etc ou will need to log in. Right click on the page and press login, type username and password as they would be for your e-mail normally.

Now last thing, open windows explorer, find the files you saved from word and drag and drop them from windows explorer to internet explorer open with your ftp page…. That should be it (index.html should be shown on the ftp page now with a sub-directory for the other stuff). Now go to your web site using http://www.etc.etc and you web page should be there pictures and all……..

That’s about a simple as it gets.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by ssrx
      About time my business came into 21st century, so looking to get a website up and running. Just one hicup, I aint got a clue.

Anyone out there into that sort of thing fancy the job ? Dont need anything fancy just bit of advertising and e mail link.
      Some ISPs have website building tools available to members free of charge (Freeserve and AOL are pretty cool for this),this would enable you to put a basic site together easily.
      Powered by ????

Comment

ask Icklejes on here m8, she my daughter.
        tell her that pop said if she dont help you NO CHRISTMAS PREZZIE

she will help ya.
        Last edited by popbriscoe; 23 December 2003, 14:55.
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

steve spoke to our emma Icklejes, she cant post or PM today for some reason. sent you PM with her e-mail address
          she will set you up with web page
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Hang on a sec

I take it that you are a complete beginner, so rather than blind you with science, I will give you a few options.

1. Word will create a web page. However, the html code that it generates will be pretty horrendous. Note: HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) is the language that makes the internet work, all web pages are written using it. It allows any computer system or browser to understand the commands and will (generally) generate the same web page in the same format on any system. What Word does is attempt to wrap all of your web page formatting up inside html commands. It does not do this very elegantly.
            2. The suggestion that you can prefix the web address with 'ftp' (File Transfer Protocol) and upload the files is only true for some hosts. Bravenets free service does not support ftp, for instance, I don't think AOL does either. However, any service that does not support ftp will provide a user friendly alternative.
            3. If you have the time I suggest that you do two things.

a. Download 1stPage2000 from EvrSoft. It is a free HTML editor and it is blindingly good.
            b. Buy a book called Instant HTML Programmers Reference. It is highly recommended.

If you want to see what can be achieved with a bit of patience and (a lot) of time, then take a look at http://www.HitEnter.Co.Uk . The site has taken a long time to build, and I am still adding to it. It has been totally overhauled more than once.

You can buy your own domain name if you like, and the cheapest that I have found is http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ .

I appreciate that the easy option is to get someone else to write the code, but take my word for it, there is a certain satisfaction in building a site that works....ask Koi!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Steve.

First off you need a web host - I can recommend Oneandone who host this site and you need to decide what you want. You could build one on Yahoo but I think they are a bit sniffy about business sites on free webspace. One and One do a basic package for £8.99 a month which is probably enough to start with. You can always expand it later if you want funky stuff like full dynamic web site driven by a database with a shop etc on line. You can build a pretty funky website pretty easy using Frontpage 2000 or even use their on line tool to build it for you.

Cheers

Comment

I can offer you some advice,

Pay a reputable designer to build it for you; when it comes to business, be it “Window Cleaning” or “Media Consultancy”, creating the right impression is paramount – a website or page can do this, however it can also have the opposite effect.

Having a friend build one is fine, but if you decide you don’t like it, do you risk hurting there feeling by taking it down or changing it?

Most small to medium web design companies will supply small 2 to 4 page sites, along with a contact form and even some promotion for around £100, as the market has become so competitive and quite stagnant.

Just my opinion - GL

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Flop
                  I can offer you some advice,

Pay a reputable designer to build it for you; when it comes to business, be it “Window Cleaning” or “Media Consultancy”, creating the right impression is paramount – a website or page can do this, however it can also have the opposite effect.

Having a friend build one is fine, but if you decide you don’t like it, do you risk hurting there feeling by taking it down or changing it?

Most small to medium web design companies will supply small 2 to 4 page sites, along with a contact form and even some promotion for around £100, as the market has become so competitive and quite stagnant.

Just my opinion - GL
                  I agree with the above,I have put together a web page for my business using Freeserve Site builder just as an online portfolio but to have a more professional and polished site you are definately better paying a pro to do it for you.I am currently looking at some local web design companies with a view to putting together a "real" website next year as opposed to an "online photo album".