No announcement yet.

Newbie - Which Surf should I buy??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Which Surf should I buy??????

Hi
    Teach me what I need to know about Surfs before I take the plunge in the next week or so!
    Never had a chunky 4x4 before, but pretty into my cars..been pottering around in an M5 for the last couple of years, but its just too expensive to run!
    I'm thinking diesel...maybe to go veg oil down the line? Otherwise which models are there? Which years were the model updates, are they all autos? Which options should I look for, what should I avoid, what common problems should I look for? whats the service scheduling like? etc etc.
    Thanks in advance

See here.....
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/history.htm

To be honest, any Surf won't be much better on fuel than your Beemer!
    But instead of going fast, you'll be able to go anywhere!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Its not the fuel thats the problem its the repairs...something goes wrong with it every couple of weeks, you can see the dealers eyes light up when you mention the M word!
      I take it the Surf is impeccable reliability wise??
      Also the different models, is there a detailed description of what you get with each? I think I'm now looking at a gen2/3 3ltr diesel. Is it worth having the intercooler?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rigsby
        Thanks for that.
        Its not the fuel thats the problem its the repairs...something goes wrong with it every couple of weeks, you can see the dealers eyes light up when you mention the M word!
        I take it the Surf is impeccable reliability wise??
        Also the different models, is there a detailed description of what you get with each? I think I'm now looking at a gen2/3 3ltr diesel. Is it worth having the intercooler?

Thanks
        Intercooler is the holy grail for 3rd gen owners but in fact makes very little power gain over standard (as is the case with most intercoolers) all they do is cool the air a couple of degrees so making it easier to cram a bit more in the cylinders. Coming from an M to a surf you are going to be going very slowly with or without an intercooler.

Buy any thats in good order 2nd or 3rd gen. spec on the tailgate means nothing as the Japs put what they want on them. Mine even has a telly in the dash.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Speed is expensive, and talking of Holy Grails, trying to get the BMW working 100% is was my holy grail...never found it!!

Any particular issues to watch out for? How much are tyres, discs, pads etc.
          Where are the best places to source spares??

Thanks

Comment

These people are favorite at the moment, but there are others around. Just don't mention the word 'Import' at Toyota dealers!

http://www.toyotahilux.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Just don't mention the word 'Import' at Toyota dealers!
              Its actually worth checking what your local dealer - some are fine with imports.
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

get a black one, they are faster, sexier,more powerful,more reliable,and thats the truth m`lord...honest. really, i wouldn`t lie to ya guv`ner.
                Ian

Comment

Originally posted by SURFVIRGIN
                  get a black one, they are faster, sexier,more powerful,more reliable,and thats the truth m`lord...honest. really, i wouldn`t lie to ya guv`ner.
                  Oh no, not again...
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

These people are favorite at the moment, but there are others around. Just don't mention the word 'Import' at Toyota dealers!

http://www.toyotahilux.com/
                    Don't know about that, I've always had my 3rd gen serviced at Lexus Park Lane, main agent Toyota and Lexus dealers. Never had any problems, always been dealt with with the utmost courtesy, they phone before spending any more of my money than they need to and I don't think are outrageously expensive.

Comment

Maybe it's just south Wales then.

Comment

Get a 3rd gen, otherwise people here will call it a truck and you will feel obliged to munch on a yorkie everytime you drive it, you will then pile on the weight and become fat and spotty, eventually becoming repulsive to the opposite sex and dying from a heart attack. Moral of the story, if you don't drive a 3rd gen you must be a fatty, spotty, half dead, poof!

Well thats my take on it anyway!
                        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Maybe it's just south Wales then.

possibly .....or could colour have something to do with it?

My local main dealer is very good
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                            Get a 3rd gen, otherwise people here will call it a truck and you will feel obliged to munch on a yorkie everytime you drive it, you will then pile on the weight and become fat and spotty, eventually becoming repulsive to the opposite sex and dying from a heart attack. Moral of the story, if you don't drive a 3rd gen you must be a fatty, spotty, half dead, poof!

Well thats my take on it anyway!

For Sale:

2nd gen Surf, Wine over grey, low miles, new head, 3" lift, mud tyres..........
                            Reason for sale.......Ill health and obesity with a very bad skin condition and limp wrist.

Any reasonable offer accepted, but must include chocolate bars.

Comment

Last 3 cars where an E39, E36, E30. Surf uses more juice than any of em. But..............Love the bluggy thing. My first auto and once I forgot about the left left leg no probs. Parts are surprisingly relatively cheap. Roughtrax and Milners supply most bits next day and my local Inchcape Toymota dealers at Kidlington are enthusiastic about the Surfs ....they reckon if something isnt in stock in UK it will be in stock in Belgium and over here within five days.
                              Personally I prefer the looks of the 1st and 2nd Gens. go for the 3.0.
                              Pore over the Roughtrax and Milners sites then Morrs Faq and Codlords site.
                              Last of all, if you can get someone to take you froading in one for 10 mins...we will have you in our evil clutches and you will never get away.......

Right........who slipped the serious pill in me tea??????

http://www.emptyearth.com/
                              http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/
                              http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm
                              http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=128
                              and of course this forum saves you farsans a pans and lotsa chewed fingernails................... .............

Comment

Working...
                              X