Cycle carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle carrier

Hi all, has anyone tried to use a hatch back type cycle carrier on the back of a Surf. My old car was a Mondeo estate and I still have the carrier I used on that. Just tried it on the back of the Surf and it fits only worry'n bit is the top straps. On the mondeo they fitted into the top of the back door, on the Surf I've just put the strap on the back window and shut it all the way up. There are side fittings as well as bottom so not as if all the stress is on the top straps. So my question is am I mad to think that the strap held in tight at the top of the window is going to be ok ?
    Last edited by John McC; 27 March 2006, 20:00.

any movement will shatter the toughened glass... especially on the edge of the window.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yep thought that might be the case back to the drawing board...

Comment

I was thinkin the same...Gonna make my own now. A few bent pieces of steel and hey presto i hope...If i get it made soon i will post pics and design schematics

Comment

Bike Carrier

Did you ever make the Bike carrier. I have a 91 2.4 2dr without a tow bar and have been trying to figure out the best way to strap the bikes on the back.

Brussels John

Comment

That thread was 3 years old mate. I think if he had made one he would have posted some pics by now. (Unless he's very slow at metalwork).
            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
              That thread was 3 years old mate. I think if he had made one he would have posted some pics by now. (Unless he's very slow at metalwork).
              He's still working out how to switch the camera on...
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels john View Post
                Did you ever make the Bike carrier. I have a 91 2.4 2dr without a tow bar and have been trying to figure out the best way to strap the bikes on the back.
                What type of spare wheel carrier do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  What type of spare wheel carrier do you have?
                  Underslung, and I can't work out why the bike keeps getting trashed......
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                    Underslung, and I can't work out why the bike keeps getting trashed......

Comment

I am using a towball type Thule rack on my truck. I have a rear spare wheel, and that got in the way of the closest bike slot (it is a three bike carrier). I am in the process of upgrading the towball, with a longer ball arm and a 1" spacer. Once that is all bolted together, I will modify the rack so it sits further out, I am guessing I can get another 4 or 5" out of it. By this stage, I should have cleared another 7" or more, which I think will be enough room for me to easily carry three bikes on the back.

There is a thread at http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54340 where you can see some pics.

Comment

Working...
                      X