Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox probs...

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, just i need to sort it out asap as i've left my girlfriend with the Surf (no that's not the problem!) and this is causing her loads of problems out on the road. It can be fine when you start it up, it's always ground a bit going into reverse, but after going for a while, or after stopping and starting again it just wont go into gear, sometimes it will go into 3rd and you can pull away slowly, but on a roundabout that's not much good. I just can't force it into gear,even with two hands, then the next morning, it's fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Is it a manual or an automatic?

I'd assume it a a manual from what you've said. Either way, the first thing I would check is the oil/fluid level, on either type of gearbox low oil/fluid can cause difficulty in selecting gear.
    Checking the oil level on a manual gearbox is covered in the main servicing sticky. Checking the fluid level in an auto box has been covered a few times and can also be found here
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi Maurice,

Yep, it's a manual. Thanks for the advice, i'm so un-technically/mechanically minded it's not true! So any help from this forum is always very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

what condition is the clutch in ???

does it feel any different from, say, last month ??? clutch fluid level ??
        can you select gears when engine turned off ?
        if you select 1st gear while engine off, press clutch pedal and try to start truck..... what happens ????

this should narrow things down a bit....

carl......
        gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

Working...
        X