Mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mph

Hi I purchased my 3.0 surf about a month ago recieved my new log book O.K.
    M.O.T. lasts till June. The Speedo however is in K.P.H. is this OK or should it be in M.P.H ie will it pass the next M.O.T. with K.P.H. ?
    Trust your Hound.

Yes it will pass all mot's
    mine is a 1994 ssrx the speedo still reads in KM's and I have put mine throught a mot 2 times I ask the mot station to put KM's on the pass sheet so it dosn't look dodgie if I come to sell my Surf.

They only put new clocks that read in miles on all cars imported after 1996
    I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) .

Hope this helps.

Steve.
    The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

The Odo doesn't matter, but the speed does. If your milage is shown in Km's then that's not a problem. But if your speedo shows only KPH then that would fail an MOT. It needs to show either MPH or BOTH.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        The Odo doesn't matter, but the speed does. If your milage is shown in Km's then that's not a problem. But if your speedo shows only KPH then that would fail an MOT. It needs to show either MPH or BOTH.
        Mine only shows KPH and its passed 2 mot's
        They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

Then you are a lucky chap. The reason for this is because if your speedo only shows KPH, how do you know that you are obeying the speed limits? IE, if you are driving through a 30MPH limit, you don't know what speed you are doing with a KPH speedo.

You will notice if you buy an import subject to an SVA, they will fit a MPH/KPH speedo face to the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Then you are a lucky chap. The reason for this is because if your speedo only shows KPH, how do you know that you are obeying the speed limits? IE, if you are driving through a 30MPH limit, you don't know what speed you are doing with a KPH speedo.

You will notice if you buy an import subject to an SVA, they will fit a MPH/KPH speedo face to the vehicle.
            I can totally understand what you mean but even my last import MR2 turbo had KPH and that passed 5 mot's at different mot stations before i sold it.

Maybe i just have been very lucky but its not really hard to fit a over lay on the speedo.
            They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by biglift
              Yes it will pass all mot's
              mine is a 1994 ssrx the speedo still reads in KM's and I have put mine throught a mot 2 times I ask the mot station to put KM's on the pass sheet so it dosn't look dodgie if I come to sell my Surf.

They only put new clocks that read in miles on all cars imported after 1996
              I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) .

Hope this helps.

Steve.
              All imports should read in MPH.

Comment

my 2.4 was in KPH and passed MOT ok
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Mine appears to have been converted to MPH on import, although it's an MPH only face. Wish they had put one on that showed both MPH & KPH for continental travel. Not sure if mine is the fastest here but my speedo goes up to 160MPH!! Not sure I'd like to try it at that speed though.

Having checked it with sat nav, it's accurate at 30mph and only doing 65 when showing 70 and 73 when showing 80, so I feel quite happy I'm not going to get pulled over by the boys in blue if I'm doing an indicated 80 on the M-ways
                  Mike G

Comment

I put my old car through several MOTs with no speedo cable.

Comment

Working...
                    X