One for the IT / Telecom Literate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gizmo
    We have a broadband network on a different setup and using htis to get out onto the web if I telnet to the external IP onto port 5000 I can gain access to the Router at Eccles [from either office] but try the same to the router at blackburn [from either office] and it says no open connection available.

If you hang a Laptop or IP Phone of the external it appears on the Eccles as an extension...same if it hangs internally but internal -> external and vice versa it seems to be blocked [no firewall rules actived to block ports and port forwarding correct]

Gonna swap the Eccles router with the one at Blackburn, give it a test at eccles and see if it works to clarify that it is something at the Blackburn end of the link.

Rob...There are tick boxes for the Web and Telnet Mangement Services, this is true but I am just getting through the ports to prove the internal/external transfer works not to actually remotely manage it..so the port forwarding should allow me through the router and prove that communication is possible. Cheers for you reply...all are welcome to do with the issue!!!!!
    Sounds like a monster headache mate. Post how you get on with the router swap, you can bet your bottom dollar its gonna be something simple, just overlooked.

Comment

Well changed the IP addressing on the router from Blackburn to the eccles IP and voila....can ping and telnet through the port......

Checked the firmware and all have the same release so this rules that out as possible problem.
      Now to see if it'll work back at Blackburn...will be up there tomorrow
      Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
        Well changed the IP addressing on the router from Blackburn to the eccles IP and voila....can ping and telnet through the port......

Checked the firmware and all have the same release so this rules that out as possible problem.
        Now to see if it'll work back at Blackburn...will be up there tomorrow
        I have afunny feeling that your HQ site is blocking Blackburn somewhere, can't be a routing issue as your ping test was succesful.

Kepp us posted with the result.

Comment

Well tried Blackburn again Pinging the external Static IP replies with no problem but the Telnet is still not opening up the ports to let me through [whether using port 23 - default Telnet or one of the configured ports]!.....

I need to verify this as its driving me crazy:

1. That the router would be building up its own Routing Table for the Internal / External network interfaces and the Router would not require me to set the Static Routing to inform the router of the Network Interfaces/Metrics

2. Trying to Use Dynamic Routing [RIP] will open the security of the router---yes?.

3. The port forwarding should be enough to pass on the information to the associated IP address configured as static 'behind the NAT/Firewall'

Going to try the router at one of the other branches to see if its specific to Blackburn.....if not I think I'll be getting in someone with far more Routing Credentials [looking like I'll be selling body parts!]
          Gaz

Comment

Have you tried turning it off, then on again??!!

Comment

Originally posted by steveo999
              Have you tried turning it off, then on again??!!

Its always the first thing you resort to in IT....if it dont work try turning it off or resetting it!

next..bang it on the desk
              next...chuck it at something
              lastly...realise you broke it and call the manufacturers to say it was broken when you received it...
              Gaz

Comment

Just to fill in the blanks:

The two routers are knackered. There was definatley something in the router blocking the transfer of information.. Now back on a slow boat to DLINK for replacements

To those who contributed : thanks for your efforts
                Gaz

Comment

[QUOTE To those who contributed : thanks for your efforts[/QUOTE]

And to those of us who took the pi$$

Sorry guys
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

But I was being serious!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      But I was being serious!!!

First time for everything
                      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul