Dog Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Owners

I owned two Irish Wolhounds, brother and sister. 3 weeks ago the girl got a little cut on her back paw. Next day she was fine, no bleeding or anything. About 5 days later, on Thursday, noticed paw had swollen and on looking saw a very open wound. Took her to vet and he gave her antibiotics, plus bandaged wound etc. We kept her inside, as we had two large dogs, they normally lived outside. On the Monday morning she got up slowly when i went to let her out. After 5-10 mins i went out to get her and she was in a coma.
    Managed to get help to carry a 66 kilo dog, to the vet. Over the next 4 hours he tried to save her life, but unfortunately to know avail.
    It was most likely tetanus, which is very rare in dogs, although there was not much wrong from blood test we had done.
    We think the dog had been chewing etc on the small cut and had made it far worse. As she had been eating and running normally, without any bleeding for about 8-10 days, i to my sorrow did not notice anything wrong, until too late.
    I know dogs are always getting little cuts from running around, but all i can say to any forum dog owners, you may think its nothing to start, but PLEASE always keep a check, as in my case it can develop into a dead dog.
    My avatar is of Corin her brother, who up to now, has been fine, especially as he is inside 90% of the time now and getting more attention.
    Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Originally posted by Philip
    I owned two Irish Wolhounds, brother and sister. 3 weeks ago the girl got a little cut on her back paw. Next day she was fine, no bleeding or anything. About 5 days later, on Thursday, noticed paw had swollen and on looking saw a very open wound. Took her to vet and he gave her antibiotics, plus bandaged wound etc. We kept her inside, as we had two large dogs, they normally lived outside. On the Monday morning she got up slowly when i went to let her out. After 5-10 mins i went out to get her and she was in a coma.
    Managed to get help to carry a 66 kilo dog, to the vet. Over the next 4 hours he tried to save her life, but unfortunately to know avail.
    It was most likely tetanus, which is very rare in dogs, although there was not much wrong from blood test we had done.
    We think the dog had been chewing etc on the small cut and had made it far worse. As she had been eating and running normally, without any bleeding for about 8-10 days, i to my sorrow did not notice anything wrong, until too late.
    I know dogs are always getting little cuts from running around, but all i can say to any forum dog owners, you may think its nothing to start, but PLEASE always keep a check, as in my case it can develop into a dead dog.
    My avatar is of Corin her brother, who up to now, has been fine, especially as he is inside 90% of the time now and getting more attention.
    Philip
    Very sorry to hear your news Phil
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Philip
      sorry to hear of your loss m8, i had to put one of my dogs to sleep nearly two years ago an it was the most dreadfull thing that i have had to do, i still feel the pain now as he was my best freind, any dog owner will understand.......good luck in the future......
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

It's always the little things you have to look out for. One of mine went off her food a while ago and within 24 hours she was in the vets on a drip for a week fighting for her life against some sort of virus. I was lucky that Blanca survived but it could so easily have gone the other way. I'm thinking of you mate.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Philip
          Hi mate, I have 2 and know what you r feeling.
          One of ours, "Phoebelala" was very ill as a pup and was often on a drip at the vets for days on end.

To loose a dog is like loosing a child for a loving owner, some can understand that and others can't.

Chin up m8

Al.
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Sorry for your loss.
            Jo & Vince

Comment

I could never understand why people got so upset after losing a pet, after all, they were only animals, not humans, close family.

Then i got my first dog.
              we had him for 15 years when sadly he could no longer stand by himself and we had to make the decision to have him put down.
              I had to keep putting the phone down as i started crying every time i mentioned putting him to sleep.

We got him to the vets and i cried like a baby as i watched his life ebb away.
              For months afterwards i would go into the garden every night to say goodnight to him.

So i really feel for you Phillip, its funny how you miss all of those irritating things that your pet does when their not there.

Your other dog maybe enjoying the extra attention, but i bet it also misses its partner.

Comment

very sorry to hear this

my german sheperd pup got ran over 2 weeks ago fortunatley hes perfect after it but loosing your dog is the same as a child but it does get easier

Comment

Sorry to hear this.
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Sorry Phil, missed this post.

Will remember them both running round our field in the summer and then disappearing while we wern't looking!!

How we could lose a pair of dogs that big is amazing!

Chin up mate.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. Had dogs all my life and saying good bye never gets any easier, but i've always been fortunate and lost them all at ripe old ages. Really feel for you losing one too soon. Hows Corin?
                      Last edited by den 22; 13 March 2006, 21:39.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss Philip. Lady has been gone since last August and I still miss the enthusiastic greeting I used to get when I came in the front door.

Thinking of you mate.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Corin, so far has not shown any signs of missing her as yet, probably as when she came in season she went down to Sussex. Also of course he is getting more attention and now spends most of time indoors.
                          Thanks all
                          Philip
                          Still Searching,
                          Dick Whittington

Comment

very sorry to hear about the loss of your pooch Philip

our 2 dogs often get cuts - will keep more of an eye on the cuts next time.
                            Landcruiser Colorado
                            Sub. Forester

Comment

Awh Philip, I'm so sorry you lost her. She was a lovely dawg. I bet her brother is enjoying the extra attention though.
                              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X