Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user, one of those threads!

Hi guys, I am new around here.

I am thinking of getting a Surf in the new year, a new style (post 1996) model.

Can anyone tell me the sort of things I should be looking out for when looking at them, or whether there are any known problems with Surfs on the whole?

Otherwise can anyone tell me about how great they are, when compared to a Land Cruiser?

Regards,

Jon.

You want to compare a surf against a Land Cruiser....................... ..

Go and stand in the corner with the pointy hat on......
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel
      Hi guys, I am new around here.

I am thinking of getting a Surf in the new year, a new style (post 1996) model.

Can anyone tell me the sort of things I should be looking out for when looking at them, or whether there are any known problems with Surfs on the whole?

Otherwise can anyone tell me about how great they are, when compared to a Land Cruiser?

Regards,

Jon.
      I dont think there are known problems for 3rd gens (>1996) . You wanna be looking out for the signs of wear just like on an ordinary car, worn steering wheel, frayed seats but just so that you can judge for yourself whether the mileage on the clock is believable, in other words 467kms in 6 years isnt. Ignore the fancy sat/nav systems offered as features as they are useless unless your commuting to Tokyo. Check the operation of the four wheel drive system. Turn the wheels to full lock in the lot and complain about the squeaks you hear from the front wheel arches (nevermind though theres no damage ) . Watch for a check engine light on the dash, it shouldnt be lit while driving. If you think you will be doing some offroading why not aim at a surf which has been lifted a few inches, maybe larger wheels and stuff like that - one member got himself a new surf a while back which had a lot of money put into it b4 he got it and was ready for some serious mud and water.

Dont know bout the sales rep land cruisers but those big ones (VX?) with the massive 4 and 5 ltr engines do it for me on sight but never been in one

Comment

If I could have afforded a Land Cruiser Colorado I would have, be prepared to double your price when comparing the Surf to one, Salesman informed me that Gen3 Surfs are built on the same chassis anyway.
        John
        [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
        [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
          Salesman informed me that Gen3 Surfs are built on the same chassis anyway.
          John
          true dat! and the Surf looks a whole lot nicer. But if you talking Land Cruiser Amazon, then its a whole new kettle of fish.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            true dat! and the Surf looks a whole lot nicer. But if you talking Land Cruiser Amazon, then its a whole new kettle of fish.
            Except when greenlaning as you need lanes as wide as runways. Mind you the Landcruiser is built for different things than the Surf.

Personally I like the Surf much more than the Colorado.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Jon,

I've got a '96 Surf TD - absolutely bullet proof so far (7 months - off roaded at every oportunity). The 1KZ-TE engine generally has no known problems. The 3rd gen does share the same chassis / platform as the UK spec Colorado which makes parts and servicing easier seeing as the 3rd gen Surf was never officially sold in the UK.
              The Surf is a lightweight compared to a Land Cruiser....if you want a genuine double hard ba5tard 4x4 then get a LC but the Surf does everything most people want and more - ask if you need particular requirements, someone on here will have experience of what you need. Remember, it is still a Toyota and is in most cases is eff'ing reliable - they do have decades (about 5!) of experience in building 4x4's - about the same as Land Rover. If you ask me, the Surf looks much better than a Colorado < its boring!
              And in terms of what to look out for, Jim pretty much covered it except for I don't think 3rd gens suffer from horrible noises when on full steering lock.
              Last edited by Rob; 20 December 2003, 04:04.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

I am not comparing to a Land Cruiser to "buy" but more because I know something about LC's and nothing about Surf's.

Except that they look better

Does anyone know of any decent dealers/service agents in the Berkshire area?

Would I be right in thinking that Toyota main dealers won't touch them?

Do they share any basic mechanical components with the Hilux pick up?

This will be my first 4X4, what sort of surprises might I have cost wise when it comes to servicing and tyres, etc.

In terms of what I am going to do with it, if I am honest it will be mostly used for road use, and some "muddy tracks", it will be a while before I build up the gumption to do any "proper" off roading in it, if ever, given that I am after an auto 'box!

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel
                  Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

I am not comparing to a Land Cruiser to "buy" but more because I know something about LC's and nothing about Surf's.

Except that they look better

Does anyone know of any decent dealers/service agents in the Berkshire area?

Would I be right in thinking that Toyota main dealers won't touch them?

Do they share any basic mechanical components with the Hilux pick up?

This will be my first 4X4, what sort of surprises might I have cost wise when it comes to servicing and tyres, etc.

In terms of what I am going to do with it, if I am honest it will be mostly used for road use, and some "muddy tracks", it will be a while before I build up the gumption to do any "proper" off roading in it, if ever, given that I am after an auto 'box!

Cheers,

Jon.
                  A lot of dealers are becoming more and more helpful now, my local two are very good so its not as bad as it was on the dealer front.
                  I personally don't know of any dealers in the Berkshire area but you can bet theres a few on here that do.
                  Mechanical componenets of the pick up, yes they do. The Surf is basically built on the Hilux chasis, so Haynes manual for the 4 Runner/Hilux pickup will cover most of the running gear and a bit of the engine as well for the 2.4.
                  Surprises, as you have probably seen on here SOME of the 2.4's suffered from a badly designed head. This has led to them cracking, new heads are redesigned so once its been replaced with a NEW head its enjoyment time, it aint cheap to replace. So make sure if you buy one the warranty covers the head or the head has been done and get it writing, or go for the 3.0 they don't suffer this problem.
                  Look here for things to look out for http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                  other than that most of the servicing stuff is pretty straight forward. If your a little bit handy with the tools most can be done yourself and if your not you soon will be doing it yourself with the help and advice from the guys and girls on here.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Working...
                  X