A Sad Day For Ale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad Day For Ale

George Gale's Brewery (horndean) is closing down, Fullers are dumping it, Its a
    sad day, Soon all we'll have are the big brewers turning out the chemicle $hit
    that passes for beer, I was their emergancy plumber for several years and had
    many a good time there and at most of their pubs, Their brewery trips were
    ledgendary, Never been so wrecked, Plus the history of the brewery was
    very interesting as well, The more you drank the more interesting it became,
    Sad Day!
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
      George Gale's Brewery (horndean) is closing down, Fullers are dumping it, Its a
      sad day, Soon all we'll have are the big brewers turning out the chemicle $hit
      that passes for beer, I was their emergancy plumber for several years and had
      many a good time there and at most of their pubs, Their brewery trips were
      ledgendary, Never been so wrecked, Plus the history of the brewery was
      very interesting as well, The more you drank the more interesting it became,
      Sad Day!
      I went to college in Pompey and at the time would have been happy to see Gales closed down and even happier to see Brickwoods follow them. That was when I was what I suppose is a "lager lout" Now Im older and my tastes have matured I reckon Id probably enjoy Gales Ales. Still not sure about Brickwoods though. But youre right its a shame to see the chemical beerfare crowd dumping these places.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

A real shame. I'm not in the 'Gale's' locale, but I have had the odd pint of ESB(?) when down that neck of the woods. Very nice too.

Thankfully, in these parts (south Midlands) there has been a resurgance in real ale producers in the last few years (witness the Worcester Beer Festival having over 250 beers on for at least the last three events.

Malvern now has it's own brewery (Malvern Hills Brewery), as does Callow End have St Georges Brewery (a sleepy little village not 5 miles from here) and of course, the old standard 'Shropshire Lad' by Woods Brewery is a staple here.

The South Midlands is a great place if you like your beer!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
          A real shame. I'm not in the 'Gale's' locale, but I have had the odd pint of ESB(?) when down that neck of the woods. Very nice too.

Thankfully, in these parts (south Midlands) there has been a resurgance in real ale producers in the last few years (witness the Worcester Beer Festival having over 250 beers on for at least the last three events.

Malvern now has it's own brewery (Malvern Hills Brewery), as does Callow End have St Georges Brewery (a sleepy little village not 5 miles from here) and of course, the old standard 'Shropshire Lad' by Woods Brewery is a staple here.

The South Midlands is a great place if you like your beer!
          Its good to hear that, Im hoping that someone will come in at the eleventh
          hour and carry it on, If only i'd won that euro-lottery i'd have died a happy
          man (and probably sooner than later if i owned a brewery) By the way its
          HSB, They did a nice winter brew as well, Stuck to ya ribs like sergant
          majors tea! Prize old ale was another that'd have yer on yer knees in no time
          at all, Ill just have to cry into me can of fosters!

Comment

It's always sad when a local brewery closes. We have a good one locally, Shefford Brewery, which two guys started with their redundancy money when Vauxhall were laying off. They now have the brewery, a couple of pubs in Luton and about five pubs in London, plus all the free houses that they supply. They do a nice IPA and one called SOS.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Terrbile news!
              I only had my first pint of Gales in November - a pub in Westhill nr Aberdeen had it as a guest beer, cant remember which Gales pint it was, but it was a good one.
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Being a Portsmouth local too, and an ale drinking, and Gales, and also having had legendary brewery tours and curries over the road I too am dismayed to see this go :-( In addition I help my friend with his Shire horses at different shows and events, the Gales horses are normally there. I guess this means the Horses and staff are also being dumped

Not sure I can drink Fullers anymore now........

Rgds

Ant
                1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
                Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Sadly maybe, one of my locals keeps agood pint of 'Pride' as a 'cooking beer'. However, he also keeps Pedigree, Shropshire Lad and Black Pear so maybe I should vote with my feet as it were!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Get your free houses to contacthttp://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/wholesalers.php?ref=4

they come from micro brewries

Good beer
                    Last edited by Woodzie; 1 March 2006, 00:16.
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i was loading out of Bulmers in hereford (cider brewery) for months and although they have huge storage pits, i never once saw an apple!...

makes you wonder what you're drinking! (glad i'm not a cider man!)
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        i was loading out of Bulmers in hereford (cider brewery) for months and although they have huge storage pits, i never once saw an apple!...

makes you wonder what you're drinking! (glad i'm not a cider man!)
                        HeHe, Reminds me of the Wiltshire Lamb, A scrumpy house, I was realey bad
                        on that once, It came out of every orifice and i meam every ONE, The stuff
                        was dead flat with bits in it, Mouse pooh i shouldnt wonder, Many a matelot
                        got rolled after drinking in there, Evil stuff!

Comment

It's a shame when a long established brewery gets closed down. Here in Warwickshire though micro breweries seem to be multiplying, loads of them:

----------------------------------
                          Alexandra Arms Brewery

Ansells Brewery Ltd

Aston Manor Brewery Company Ltd

The Atomic Brewery

Chandler's Brewery Company Ltd

Church End Brewery Ltd

Davenport's Brewery Ltd

North Cotswold Brewery

Purity Brewing Company Ltd

Rainbow Inn & Brewery

Rugby Brewing Company Limited

The Slaughterhouse Brewery Ltd

Tunnel Brewery Ltd

Warwickshire Beer Company Ltd

Wizard Ales

Bard's Brewery

Bull's Head Brewery

Cox's Yard

Faculty & Firkin

Fantasy Brewery

Fat God's Brewery

Fiddle and Bone Brewing Company

Fowl & Firkin

Frankton Bagby Brewery

Ivybush Brewery

Jolly Roger Brewpub

Judges Brewery

The Millwright's Arms

Shakespear's Brewery Ltd

Walsh's Bakehouse Brewery Ltd

The Warwickshire Brewery Ltd

----------------------------------

The Warwickshire Beer Co. is 3 doors away from my house. Can smell the malting sometimes. Gorgeous!

http://www.warwickshirebeer.co.uk/

We have a beer festival at The Newbold Comyn Arms starting this weekend if anyone is interested:

http://www.newboldcomynarms.co.uk/in...id=59&Itemid=2

Comment

Luky for me in the SW we seem to have a good number of micro's brewing a good range of ales
                            Feel sorry for those that live in area's where brewing is in decline
                            My other cars a QUAD
                            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                              HeHe, Reminds me of the Wiltshire Lamb, A scrumpy house, I was realey bad
                              on that once, It came out of every orifice and i meam every ONE, The stuff
                              was dead flat with bits in it, Mouse pooh i shouldnt wonder, Many a matelot
                              got rolled after drinking in there, Evil stuff!
                              God, The Wiltshire Lamb! Now that brings back some memories.
                              Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X