X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More snow and ice expected !!!!

MET OFFICE

23 February 2006

Snow and ice are expected to be the main feature of the weather across southern Britain over the next 24 hours, as Met Office forecasters predict the cold weather to continue.

The rain, sleet and snow across England and Wales today will continue overnight with significant snowfall expected over higher ground, such as the Welsh mountains and the moors of south-west England.

Across southern England, snow showers are likely throughout the night and with temperatures close to freezing, widespread icy conditions are forecast for Friday morning where roads and pavements haven't been treated.

Head of Forecasting at the Met Office, Nick Grahame said: "The wintry weather should ease through Friday, but it will remain cold for the weekend. We are looking closely at the possibility of high-impact weather next week; a northerly wind could bring further snow for many".

The Met Office is working closely with other organisations such as the Highways Agency, to alert people to the risk. The best advice is to check the latest weather and travel reports over the coming days.

I'd like to know exactly what "high impact weather" is? Hail the size grapefruit maybe..........?

I have just bought a new set of tyres..........so all the snow will probably mysteriously disappear.......

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
      I have just bought a new set of tyres..........so all the snow will probably mysteriously disappear.......
      Snap!!
      Bought a full set of A/T's in anticipation of the the "bad winter" we were told about - hoping to have lots of fun!
      It snowed heavily one night in Jan but had melted by the morning.
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Good! bring it on!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD

Bought a set of tyres once for the van which were ment to be good snow tyres.

Got them fit one snowy sat morning, drove about half a mile from the garage and slid into a parked car doing about 15mph

I was not happy
          Stella Artois

Comment

Great !!! Play time then

poppy
            GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Jammy feckers

Blue skys and bright sunshine here.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster

Bought a set of tyres once for the van which were ment to be good snow tyres.

Got them fit one snowy sat morning, drove about half a mile from the garage and slid into a parked car doing about 15mph

I was not happy

Van?????????

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Van?????????
                  was along time ago, all i could afford at the time

Fiesta combo,and it had more space in it than a landrover,got a quad in it once
                  Stella Artois

Comment

A Gloria

Fiesta van
                    [url="http://www.frappr.com/smurfowners"]Surf MAp[/url]

Comment

As if a couple of feet of snow bothers Surf owners, perhaps you should post it on a Land Rover site ! (er when did you say it was coming ?)
                      it's a blue 2.4 litre diesel monster

Comment

Oh, I see. For a moment there I thought you were refering to your truck!

Comment

Met Office update-

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/.../warnings.html

EARLY WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

EARLY WARNING of Heavy Snow Issued by the Met Office at 12:00 on Sunday, 26 February

OVERALL RISK ASSESSMENT: The probability of disruption due to severe weather conditions in part of the United Kingdom within the next 84 hours is 90 percent.
                          This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow.
                          The Met Office is forecasting a very cold northerly flow to become established across the UK during Tuesday. This is expected to bring snow showers to many places. Areas most at risk are coastal and upland regions exposed to the northerly flow - in particular northern and northeastern Scotland along with some eastern counties of England. In these areas frequent heavy snow showers could bring accumulations of 5-10cm at times, with 30 percent risk of locally over 20 cm. In addition, some locally significant falls of snow could occur over parts of N Ireland and west Wales, especially on high ground. Strong winds are likely to cause drifting at times with blizzard conditions possible over high ground. Disruption to transport is possible and some roads may become impassable.
                          The cold, wintry spell is expected to continue for the following few days, with the possibility of persistent snow across southern counties. The early warning may be extended in subsequent issues as the risk becomes clearer.
                          This warning will be updated by 1200 tomorrow, Monday 27th February 2006.

Woo....hooooooo!!!!!!!

Comment

UPDATED- LOOKIN' GOOD!

EARLY WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

EARLY WARNING of Heavy Snow Issued by the Met Office at 11:00 on Monday, 27 February

OVERALL RISK ASSESSMENT: The probability of disruption due to severe weather conditions in part of the United Kingdom within the next 3 days is 80 percent.
                            This warning is an update to that issued at 12:00 on Sunday 26 February 2006.
                            The Met Office is forecasting frequent snow showers to affect Northern and Eastern Scotland, and extreme eastern England. Falls of between 5 cm and 10 cm are expected in places, with a 30 percent risk of 20 cm or more over upland Scotland. Northern Ireland, Northern and Western Wales, and parts of Southwest England are at lower risk with local falls of 5 cm and a 20 percent risk of 10 cm in upland parts. Disruption to transport is possible.
                            The wintry spell is expected to continue through the rest of this week. There is still a possibility of a prolonged spell of snow across some southern counties of England later this week. The Met Office will provide further updates this week.
                            This warning will be updated by 1100 tomorrow, Tuesday 28 February 2006, unless superseded by Flash messages.

Comment

I just heard on the radio. We can expect an Arctic blast and Blizzards. The cold snap expected this week could cause chaos. I am shaking in my boots because 5- 8CM of snow could fall locally. In old money that is 2 - 3.25"

The presenter had a pop, suggesting that all the local schools would probably have to shut because all the 5' 4" tall blonde mums don't know how to put their 4x4s into 4WD!

Looks like we are already resigned to the country grinding to a halt.

Don't forget to strip everything off the supermarket shelves in preperation.
                              Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 27 February 2006, 14:25.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X