X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed buying surf

Hi all
    new to forum,(nice place) and surf's.
    here's my problem i have been a landro*er fan for many years,(had afew too from series to discos
    i have five grand for a new motor and want a CHANGE.
    not calling landy's but i want my weekend's back ....lol.
    theres an importer near me selling lots of surfs, different kinds ect ect
    is there any advice that peeps can give me on what i can expect for my money and what too look out for in getting ripped off.
    the importer is in woolston warrington.. anyone dealt with this place?.
    never considered surfs before today so to say i'm a noob is an understatement lol.
    thanks in advance
    Dom

With 5k to spend you should get a pretty decent 3 litre 2nd gen.

Have a look around the site , there's a very handy search tool at the top of the page.

If your not too botherd about buying from a dealer then check out ebay , there's loads of bargains to be had, I've seen nice 3 litre trucks go for as little as £3500 on ebay ,but most of all shop around and be sure to check everything out before you part with your hard earned cash.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
      With 5k to spend you should get a pretty decent 3 litre 2nd gen.

Have a look around the site , there's a very handy search tool at the top of the page.

If your not too botherd about buying from a dealer then check out ebay , there's loads of bargains to be had, I've seen nice 3 litre trucks go for as little as £3500 on ebay ,but most of all shop around and be sure to check everything out before you part with your hard earned cash.

Andy.
      Good advice, I will add to this by suggesting that with your 5K wedge you really should only consider 3 litre and forget any 2.4's They are so much better IMHO and I ought to know! I bought a 2.4 3 months ago and will be swapping very soon. Test drive a few if you can as they seem to differ in ride quality due to bushes being worn and so on. I would consider they are all very reliable, 2.4's included although they can suffer from head problems wheras the 3 litre does not. Certainly when compared to Solihulls finest they will be much more reliable. Shop around, some surfs are rusty and some are not. I looked at a 3 litre yesterday that was 4 years younger than mine and it had rust on all door bottoms and tailgate. Had been in the country a week so no chance of blaming british winters.

Summary: Get a nice clean rust free 2nd Gen 3 Litre.

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
        Summary: Get a nice clean rust free 2nd Gen 3 Litre.

Al.
        100% agree. with 5k don't look at anything else, and expect to get an absolute minter for 5k and maybe a bit of change too.

I have a really tidy 2.4, it's spot on and has run like a swiss watch, not a single breakdown or fault in the last 50,000 miles just tyres and an exhaust and normal servicing, but a mate has a 3.0 and its fundamentaly a better engine.

Comment

Hi,

Same as already said. I jumped on the bandwagon in November with my 3.0td, 68000miles, really clean for £4600. Personally i wouldn't be tempted to get a slightly rough around the edges 3rd gen, as the 2nd gens are great. I grew up with landrovers on the farm, and the surfs nearly as good offroad, but it's got seats that adjust and lots of technological wizzardry (like electric wondows!), that the landrover never had. My dad is even considering trading in his 90 for a surf!

My only question is, is the garage in warrington called Car Planet? If so i went round theirwhen looking for mine, and their examples were very tatty and overpriced in my opinion. Good to test drive and get a feel for things though.

best of luck!

Mart
          Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
            Hi,

Same as already said. I jumped on the bandwagon in November with my 3.0td, 68000miles, really clean for £4600. Personally i wouldn't be tempted to get a slightly rough around the edges 3rd gen, as the 2nd gens are great. I grew up with landrovers on the farm, and the surfs nearly as good offroad, but it's got seats that adjust and lots of technological wizzardry (like electric wondows!), that the landrover never had. My dad is even considering trading in his 90 for a surf!

My only question is, is the garage in warrington called Car Planet? If so i went round theirwhen looking for mine, and their examples were very tatty and overpriced in my opinion. Good to test drive and get a feel for things though.

best of luck!

Mart

Wiv just over 4yrs under me belt, mine still looks as good as when I bought it @ very little cost

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Surferjess
              Wiv just over 4yrs under me belt, mine still looks as good as when I bought it @ very little cost

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!

4 years and 84 posts? you need to get in more...
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

thank you all

Thanks guy's i appriciate the advice given. i get the feeling a good 2nd gen 3.0 litre's the way forward .looked at one in a dealers today on a k plate but it was only a 2.4 160 k miles ,,and he was asking 4 grand for it.nice motor.i seem to be only coming up with either red or blue one's is this the norm or is it just me?
                thanks again all

Mart .... the garage is called (first choice its in woolston just off the m6 junction 21)but i have a sneaky feeling these maybe related

Comment

Originally posted by cozzycan
                  Thanks guy's i appriciate the advice given. i get the feeling a good 2nd gen 3.0 litre's the way forward .looked at one in a dealers today on a k plate but it was only a 2.4 160 k miles ,,and he was asking 4 grand for it.nice motor.i seem to be only coming up with either red or blue one's is this the norm or is it just me?
                  thanks again all

Mart .... the garage is called (first choice its in woolston just off the m6 junction 21)but i have a sneaky feeling these maybe related
                  4 grand for a 2.4 with 160k on the clock ????

He has two hopes - Bob and No !!!

You WILL get a better 3.0 with less mileage for less loot.

TRev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Got my 91 2.4 with 70k with cylinder head done for £2k

But when i change the car which will be a very long time i'll be going for the 3.0ltr
                    Last edited by stevetubbyturbo; 25 February 2006, 00:41.
                    They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X