Aluminium repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium repair.

Anyone else seen this? looks like brilliant stuff. I'm tempted to get some just to play with!
    http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.htm

The possibilities are endless! (quote taken from the recycling ad narrated by Eddie Izzard)

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
    Anyone else seen this? looks like brilliant stuff. I'm tempted to get some just to play with!
    http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.htm

The possibilities are endless! (quote taken from the recycling ad narrated by Eddie Izzard)

Probably a con Vince. I bet they don't use make shift repairs on 747 400's as depicted in the pics on their site. All it will be is something like an HE40 low sillicon Aly with a flux core in it.

Still, looks good enough for home use.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Hi M8, Looks very good, As you say a lot of possible applications for it, Its
      reminded me of a question i was going to post on here a while back, I've got
      an old SIP arc-welder, Question is can i weld stainless (and possibly alloy)
      with it, I mean is it a question of using stainless steel welding rods, It looks
      like im gonna have to make my own roof light bar, Dont have the SIP model
      no to hand, Just a general question, Ian
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
        Hi M8, Looks very good, As you say a lot of possible applications for it, Its
        reminded me of a question i was going to post on here a while back, I've got
        an old SIP arc-welder, Question is can i weld stainless (and possibly alloy)
        with it, I mean is it a question of using stainless steel welding rods, It looks
        like im gonna have to make my own roof light bar, Dont have the SIP model
        no to hand, Just a general question, Ian
        yes you can weld stainless using stainless rods but not ally

you can also get cast rods
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

You can weld stainless with a mig welder, but it's not very nice. It's best to TIG weld ally and stainless.

Comment

Cheers Jotto/Vince, Brother in law reccons he can get me some from work,
            rods and stainless tube that is so i'll have a go, Ian
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

You can weld stainless with a mig welder, but it's not very nice. It's best to TIG weld ally and stainless.
              I weld stainless with my mig and so does Jon (Jotto) , his is a pro rig and mine is a Snap On one so his is better , but I think it is OK . TIG is the better though .

Roof light bar thread here :http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20421
              Last edited by Vagrant No2; 21 February 2006, 22:47.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Do you use stainless wire on your mig, Rick?

Comment

Do you use stainless wire on your mig, Rick?
                  Yep , no probs .
                  Ali needs a virgin liner , and virgin tools ,and pre heat before welding , its fun watching work disappear in front of your eyes when it goes wrong .
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I use stainless wire in a mig quite regulary. also as not mentioned yet alluminium wire, again needs special alloy liners and needs to be on a hot setting works even better if you can get the job very hot first and work quick. Den (sorry has been mentioned!)

Comment

What gas do you use with the ally wire, Argon?

Comment

Yeah Argon for alloy and cougar 20 for stainless. Just got sone cast brazing rods gonna try tiging with those

Comment

Cool! I got a bottle of argon for free last month.

Comment

Keep your leads nice and straight and back the roller pressure right of otherwise you will have major wrap ups!! oh yeah be patient.

Comment

Technoweld

Originally posted by den 22
                              Keep your leads nice and straight and back the roller pressure right of otherwise you will have major wrap ups!! oh yeah be patient.
                              I use a product called technoweld. Its sililar to the American stuff its just a starter kit is much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X