underbody waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underbody waxing

hi guys herd of this under waxing and i want to know what it is, were i can get it done, how much it will cost, and is it worth it

thanks

Originally posted by ian wakka
    hi guys herd of this under waxing and i want to know what it is, were i can get it done, how much it will cost, and is it worth it

thanks

WAXOIL ....available at any good motor factors about £30 a gallon spray it on and it will protect the underbody
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

As stated WAXOIL or Shultz Cans...its a mucky job but worth it in our climate...the Japs dont use the salts etc on their roads..so thats why theres little if no corrosion.

Garages can do it 4 ya but may be expensive
      You really need dry conditions to do the vehicle.
      Gaz

Comment

Re

Cover anything you don't want covered in a sticky tar like substance!

That includes your HANDS and HAIR!

Whe I done it I steam cleaned the underside!

Let it dry, very throughly!

Get under and spray anything and everything (except exhaust and brake disks etc. Use common sense!)

It's actually quite easy and shouldn't be paid for as it really is a "do it yourself" type job!

Besides, if you do it yourself it will be done better 'cos you'll be more careful!

Later!

Gary

Comment

hmm, its a job i wished i'd done when i first got my surf...three winters without underbody protection has started to take its toll..

deffo on the "what to do" list for easter..together with the patio, fence, pond, floor tiles, coving etc..i've seen the WAXOYL in halfords, and noticed the spray bottles that operate on hand pumped air compression...anyone had experience of these? or would it be better to buy/rent a proper compressor gun? i understand the stuff flows better if heated in a pan of warm water..(still in the can, of course)..does it mean that it would be too "gumpy" to spray neat? and if so, what should it be thinned with?

it appears that the stuff comes in black, and clear..pressumably for underbonnet spraying, and i guess, into the doors etc...the steamcleaning is something to consider though..and i suppose its ok to do the engine compartment at the same time?

Comment

Re

The WAXOYL is like jelly until it's heated in hot water then it is very runny and easy to spray!

The hand operated sprayer is fine, it's a very fine mist and easy to use, although the compressor may sound better it is overkill in my opinion and the hand sprayer is great!

If you do it right and take care etc. and apply several coats it will make the bottom of the Surf like BRAND NEW!

It is "self healing" as well so any stone chips etc. will be enveloped by the waxoyl as is "spreads" to fill the gap!

It really is a "peice of ****" to do and so long as you follow basic principals like make sure the areas are clean and dry etc. DON'T spray on exhaust or brakes etc. it will turn out great!

See pics here:-

LOOK FOR WAXOYL

This is my wagon getting a new exhaust, if you look a chassis you will see a 14 month old DIY underseal job with Waxoyl, a hand sprayer and about 4 hours!

Later!

Gary

Brill!

Comment

I did mine last autumn using Schutz from machine mart. £4 per litre tin. I went overboard and used 4 litres. Applied with spray gun (£5 machine mart) and my trusty old air compressor. took 1-2 hours. Schutz is a tad viscous when cool but when diluted with %10-%20 white spirit goes on lovely.
              whilst talking of undersealing - i was talking to a blokie in the pub a few months ago - and he swears by filling all the holes in his chassis with expanding foam. he says no water can get in and also helps to stiffen the chassis - apparently thats what rally / motorcross / stock car racers do!
              Could be talking Boll0cks - any thoughts??
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                I did mine last autumn using Schutz from machine mart. £4 per litre tin. I went overboard and used 4 litres. Applied with spray gun (£5 machine mart) and my trusty old air compressor. took 1-2 hours. Schutz is a tad viscous when cool but when diluted with %10-%20 white spirit goes on lovely.
                whilst talking of undersealing - i was talking to a blokie in the pub a few months ago - and he swears by filling all the holes in his chassis with expanding foam. he says no water can get in and also helps to stiffen the chassis - apparently thats what rally / motorcross / stock car racers do!
                Could be talking Boll0cks - any thoughts??
                He must have owned my Zook before. My thought on the expanding foam idea is, "Anything designed to keep water out is better at keeping it in."
                When waxoyling it is a good idea to get the flexible wand for doing the inside of the hollow sections too.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

that foams all well and good till you need to weld something...
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

If you do go down the route of waxoil and you use a compressor I can offer two tips from experience.

1, warm the can and the spray gun as it will set like a candle and you can't spray. It also burns quite well so use a heat gun or hairdryer not a blowtorch (if only I had thought of that when I did my own. Boom!!!).

2, Safety first Wear a suitable mask and goggles. The mist created will waxoil your lungs and this is not tasty.

If your heavy handed like me then you will use about 3ltrs, after it's done it looks good and makes the underside of the car look like new. The remaining wax can be used to pump into every hole in the car bodywork you can find, also inside the doors.

I would probably not bother doing it this time of year though as you want the car as dry as poss. so the waxoil can penetrate. So wait till the summer on a nice hot day when the neighbours are just putting the meat on the barbecue.

Have fun

Steve

Comment

When i did mine i used one of those garden sprayers.
                      Warm the waxoil well, add to sprayer, pump up a bit of pressure and it made the job a lot easier than using waxoyls own spray guns and kits.
                      And a lot cheaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        that foams all well and good till you need to weld something...
                        Sounds like the familiar Been there done that!
                        ( Smells bad too! )
                        Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

waxoyl

yeah did mine last week with 13tins of aeroesol comma waxoyl same stuff
                          jet washed first ,let it dry abit then blitz it big time ,underbonnet,inside doors,tailgate,everywhere ,good ****.
                          hey just got a new 30 td surf all the gadgets 1997 metallic black niceeeeeeeeee

Comment

Working...
                          X