I bought my Surf in November last year and have done the following:

replaced oil/fuel/air filters
    oil change
    replaced rear coil springs
    replaced anti-roll bushes (f&r)
    replaced steering idler&pitman arm
    serviced & replaced front brake pads
    EGR mod

As a consequence the Surf steers better, wallows far less, is more stable, stops sooner and drives much better. What next? This where I need your help-I want to do work on the car to improve the following:

reduce black smoke
    improve overall handling

As far as the black smoke is concerned it occurs particularly when pulling away from 20-30mph when the turbo kicks in. The oil and filter change improved matters and I have tried every fuel/oil additive on the shelf AND the EGR mod but it still 'seems' too much-maybe it's because I have nothing to gauge whether there is too much black smoke. I have noticed that when parked with the engine idling after 5 minutes, a sooty/oily deposit is left on the ground. Any ideas on possible causes and solutions much appreciated.

Next; Handling. As I said the handling and steering is amazing since I changed the rear springs and anti-roll bushes all round but what eklse can I do to make the car handle better? I am on a budget and would prefer to work on the car myself instead of taking it to a garage-any ideas?

Muchos muchos
    I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Originally posted by drgonzo
    Muchos muchos,

I bought my Surf in November last year and have done the following:

replaced oil/fuel/air filters
    oil change
    replaced rear coil springs
    replaced anti-roll bushes (f&r)
    replaced steering idler&pitman arm
    serviced & replaced front brake pads
    EGR mod

As a consequence the Surf steers better, wallows far less, is more stable, stops sooner and drives much better. What next? This where I need your help-I want to do work on the car to improve the following:

reduce black smoke
    improve overall handling

As far as the black smoke is concerned it occurs particularly when pulling away from 20-30mph when the turbo kicks in. The oil and filter change improved matters and I have tried every fuel/oil additive on the shelf AND the EGR mod but it still 'seems' too much-maybe it's because I have nothing to gauge whether there is too much black smoke. I have noticed that when parked with the engine idling after 5 minutes, a sooty/oily deposit is left on the ground. Any ideas on possible causes and solutions much appreciated.

Next; Handling. As I said the handling and steering is amazing since I changed the rear springs and anti-roll bushes all round but what eklse can I do to make the car handle better? I am on a budget and would prefer to work on the car myself instead of taking it to a garage-any ideas?

Muchos muchos
    How good do you want it? Its never going to go round corners like an MX5. Big 4x4's are not noted for "handling". I suspect that if you have completed the work above then you will have just about the best handling you could hope to acheive in a hilux surf. You could spend money on more and more bits like better shocks and so on but is it worth it with tyres that have sidewalls with enough flex in them to move an inch laterally?

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

spacers
      bigger alloys

Comment

Your not going to like this I presume you still find that your Surf is a little tail happy? if so new springs and anti roll bar bushes on the back was the wrong way to go, you want to soften up the back. You can try playing around with tyre presures a little I find 32 front 30 rear works well - just don't go too far. If you still have the standard shocks set the ride to soft, disconet the rear adjusters then switch back to hard I found this made a noticeable improvment. Whilst not sugesting you go the full pimp my ride route you could try droping the front to the bottom end of the usual range - about 12" rim to arch. Spacers may help but not as much as wider rims which will definatly help as would a larger diameter wheel but they cost a fortune; as has been pointed out there's too much movment in the tyre side walls as standard, there are solutions to this but most will make you look silly and/or mess up the gearing.

Comment

I like it I like it! There's some good things to tinker with

Any more ideas?
          I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

Working...
          X