winch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch?

just been given a winch it is a twin drum twin cable thing about 30 inches long a s**** man got it for me it is of a TRAM? with one cable to pull in and one to let out with a cable rating of 3/4 tons it has a hand cronk in the middle and a drum on each side so logic says if you use both cables for pulling in what will the rating be?? enough to pull the surf out of trouble?

Originally posted by spoofer28
    just been given a winch it is a twin drum twin cable thing about 30 inches long a s**** man got it for me it is of a TRAM? with one cable to pull in and one to let out with a cable rating of 3/4 tons it has a hand cronk in the middle and a drum on each side so logic says if you use both cables for pulling in what will the rating be?? enough to pull the surf out of trouble?

Logically... both cables will pull 1.5 tons... a surf is nearly 2 so I'd say not, especially if your bogged down in mud... this can increase the "pull weight" dramatically.. making it wel over 2 tons.. most of the winches i've seen pulling are 9000 and 12000lb winches
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

sorry my mistake on comp it should have read 3 to 4 tons each cable

Comment

i have a tow-bar mounted trailer winch - rated at 1000lbs
        I know its way to weedy for winching 4runner out if really stuck,
        but wouldnt it be worth considering to give helping hand if i was stuck in snow, but not seriously bogged down?
        for example last year i was stuck in snow on a bank sloping to side, and when i tried to reverse out the vehicle was sliding sideways down the slope, a small bit of pull to counter this would have helped me get out
        as it was i had to wait for a tranny to come along and tow me out...

or is it a stupid idea!!
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Yeah, it'd help, also get a snatch block to double the line back to the truck and you double you winch power.

Originally posted by andycook
          i have a tow-bar mounted trailer winch - rated at 1000lbs
          I know its way to weedy for winching 4runner out if really stuck,
          but wouldnt it be worth considering to give helping hand if i was stuck in snow, but not seriously bogged down?
          for example last year i was stuck in snow on a bank sloping to side, and when i tried to reverse out the vehicle was sliding sideways down the slope, a small bit of pull to counter this would have helped me get out
          as it was i had to wait for a tranny to come along and tow me out...

or is it a stupid idea!!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

already have a pulley - thats a good idea though, might not have thought to use it.
            i certainly wouldnt go offroading, thinking this weedy winch could be used to rescue me. but wondered if it was worth havbing in the boot in snow, looks like it might be.
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Just while on the subject.

I was lookin through the forum and seen a pic of a surf with a winch mounted on the front but without the need for a winch bumper.

Can anyone tell me how this is done??

Cheers
              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Lee FATCAT has one that CHRIS ohsupremebeing made for him.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                X