Removing Spare Wheel Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Spare Wheel Mounting

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the spare wheel mounting off a 2nd Gen Surf?

I have to move a sofa at the weekend, and will have to leave the tailgate down and strap it in. just wondering if I can remove the spare wheel mounting so it doesn't stick out too far.

Will have to just remove the spare tyre otherwise and tie up the swing arm.

Thanks
    Dave
    Just Vegging Out

Originally posted by dleach2103
    Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the spare wheel mounting off a 2nd Gen Surf?

I have to move a sofa at the weekend, and will have to leave the tailgate down and strap it in. just wondering if I can remove the spare wheel mounting so it doesn't stick out too far.

Will have to just remove the spare tyre otherwise and tie up the swing arm.

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave,
    Not sure about removing it but when I did my sofa I just locked it into place, even kept the spare on. Attched (by string) to the swing arm is an L shaped pin, this simply drop's into the hole in the bottom bracket to lock the arm out.
    If yours is missing then the right size bolt would do.....maybe.....
    Regards
    Rob.
    Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Can't leave the spare on - the carrier does not swing very far over an open tailgate and the wheel then obscures the lights. (Yes, I know you can't read the number plate with the tailgate down but that doesn't bother people as much as not being able to see your indicators. Why can't Toyota hinge the number plate like RangeRover did?).

I've carried with the tailgate down and the wheel off, but if you want to do it properly there are four bolts holding the carrier to the rear pillar. I assume that they feed into captive nuts, but I've never had to test the theory ...

Comment

Yes there are captive nuts on the inside of the pillar. Just remove the plastic cover and undo the bolts, whole thing just lifts off.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Yes there are captive nuts on the inside of the pillar. Just remove the plastic cover and undo the bolts, whole thing just lifts off.
          Sounds like a lot of hard work. think I'll just take the spare off and leave the swing arm . . . um . . . swingin' !!

Thanks again guys and gals

Just Vegging Out

Comment

Working...
          X