P2p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2p

if you're not that PC savvy but want to learn about bittorrent, a very popular method of filesharing, check this out - www.bittorrentguide.co.uk

it's a little site I put together a while ago to help people out... needs a little updating here and there but it's current to within a month or two.
    Last edited by mooter; 9 February 2006, 20:49. Reason: spelling correction
    I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Nice one

Andy.

Comment

I tried to keep it as simpleton as possible

Please note: I do not in any way condone the filesharing of copyrighted content. What you choose to do with the knowledge is of course up to you

Comment

Re

Before you begin to mess with Torrents, who is your ISP?

Gary

Comment

Bittorrent is a perfectly legal filesharing method. It's just a protocol. An ISP can track the fact that you are sharing via bittorrent, but they cannot prove the content, and while it has many legitimate uses they cannot chuck you for the act of sharing with bittorrent. some put limits on the amount you can download/upload a month, in order to try and limit the amount of sharing you do, but that's about it generally.

copyright authors on the other hand can obtain your ip with relative ease and if they want to they can ask the authorities to request your information from the isp. there are ways to help protect yourself from this but in all honesty, it's a case of small fish in a big pond.

Comment

Re

Yup, I realise that!

Thats not my point!

Some ISP's have inroduced a rather alarming trend called a "Fair Usuage Policy".

Although they do not know the actual content they are VERY aware of the P2P usage and may downgrade your bandwidth to rather rubbish speeds similar to bog standard dial up!

I speak from bitter experience as I am with PLUSNET (shorty to migrate).

If I attempt to use Newsgroups, P2P or any other downloading protocol I find my, so called 2.2Mbps "unlimited" line no better than a dial up modem would produce.

They call this a FUP "Fair Usuage Policy" and it is intended to get rid of mass downloaders!

It is also called "throttling" as they throttle your bandwidth on most of the ports that you use to download etc.

Why, simple they want occassional surfers and emailers because they can have much, much more customers on their bandwidth.

My point is:-

Find out who your ISP is and their policy toward P2P and other downloading before getting into Torrents as you may be disappointed!

"Actual" Unlimited providers are becoming harder to get and most will not allow mass downloading anymore!

Go To Forum Here:-

ADSL GUIDE

Try searching for "throttling" or "FUP" very interesting reading!

Later!

Gary

Comment

Working...
            X