Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tow Bar?

Hi All,

I need to get a tow bar fitted to my Surf asap. Went to a local Trailer/Tow Bar fitting company today so they could have a look at it and advise on the best tow bar for it, however, they didn't seem to know! They are contacting a company who makes tow bars (not Witter, although they do fit these) for some information. I am not feeling confident.

I am confident however that someone on here will be able to give me some decent advice!

It's an N reg SSR-X, KZN130, spare wheel on the back and a 2 inch lift. It's important that the tow bar is spot on and the right height as I will be towing a long glider trailer. I broached the idea of a drop plate with them as I guessed with the lift that the tow bar would sit too high otherwise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and far more greatly valued than that from this company).

Claire

Try these people, I bought mine and fitted it myself.... £115 all in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Toyota-Hil...QQcmdZViewItem
    Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Tell them it's a 4Runner, not a Surf. There should be one listed for that.

I'm 90% certain that Witter DO do a towbar for a 4Runner/Surf..
      It just does, OK?

Comment

I recently got on of these towbar from Towequippe on eBay - very pleased with, really well made.

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
          I recently got on of these towbar from Towequippe on eBay - very pleased with, really well made.
          i got one of them too.. make sure you paint it before fitting it...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Got a witter, and it's really well made and well finished, two years and not a spot of rust. I hang a bike frame off it (just bolts to the 2hole plate and the bike sits on it) then hang 118kg of bike on that and it's all nice and sturdy. i recon they are quality kit, and as you have a decent set of mounting points on a surf unlike some cars, you might as well have a nice solid bar.
            Attached Files

Comment

I Have a towequipe from ebay too- fantastic!! Really well made- 10mm laser cut plate. Towed Ford Galaxy on trailor the other day- great.

Comment

I have a underslung spare and a toe bar already (good for ploughing off road ) any one found a rear mounted bike rack ? 2 adult and 2 child??
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  Tell them it's a 4Runner, not a Surf. There should be one listed for that.

I'm 90% certain that Witter DO do a towbar for a 4Runner/Surf..
                  I've had a Witter on mine for three years, towing a horse box and it is still like new - the box and ponies weigh in at about 1700kgs, and there's the odd hill or three in this neck of the woods.

The company who fitted it said they had ordered a heavy duty version - apparently you can get the ball made of heat treated steel - although I have no proof of that.

Regards
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for second post! but I just noticed where you live - the Bank Farm dealer (past the cafe at the back of Brackla Industrial Estate) might help with the tow bar - and they stock heavy duty drop plates - I had to fit one to my mates Transit a few months back and he uses his to tow a plant trailer!

Give me a call if you want to chat

regards

Andrew 07795 477274
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi Mate, we do a mobile fitting service, and cover your area I think, give the office a ring on 01706 642302, and tell them you got the number of the surf forum, should do you a good price. As for quality, all tow bars have to be type approved now so are built to same spec. I personally like the towequipe bar you can pick up off Fleabay as it looks better when fitted as the cross bar is tubular rather than box section like most of the others.
                      Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

Comment

Originally posted by ianwoodzie
                        I have a underslung spare and a toe bar already (good for ploughing off road ) any one found a rear mounted bike rack ? 2 adult and 2 child??

hehehe!! toe........here's a toe truck..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I don't fancy fitting my own tow bar but have found another surf with the same chassis as mine with a Witter bar fitted so I am going to get them to do that for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X