high power soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high power soldering

I have recently begun using flight batteries for RC aircraft that are capable of outputting 100 Amps. (although I only need about 40 at the moment)

Of course the cables for these are very thick as you would expect.

Question is! Has anyone got experience with those gas soldering irons? What sort of wattage do they equate to.

I need about 60 Min to make joints in these cables.

Finally, can anyone suggest a decent source for one of these things?
    Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

What are you flying?

My current armoury consists of a Reichard Sprinter with Mega brushless and 10 cell pack, a GWS A-10 on a couple of unbranded LiPos bought at a bargain price on eBay and an old own design 1.5m aerobatic sloper.

The Sprinter is a joy, with vertical performance on the 700gm NiCad pack. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 14.4v LiPo to reduce the weight and up the volts / flying time. Should be fun!

Regards soldering the cables, there are some electric soldering irons around designed for brass sheet etc capable of doing what you want. Never tried a gas iron.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      What are you flying?

My current armoury consists of a Reichard Sprinter with Mega brushless and 10 cell pack, a GWS A-10 on a couple of unbranded LiPos bought at a bargain price on eBay and an old own design 1.5m aerobatic sloper.

The Sprinter is a joy, with vertical performance on the 700gm NiCad pack. I'm looking for a reasonably priced 14.4v LiPo to reduce the weight and up the volts / flying time. Should be fun!

Regards soldering the cables, there are some electric soldering irons around designed for brass sheet etc capable of doing what you want. Never tried a gas iron.

Hi,

I have only recently got into electric flight and am flying a multiplex twin star on standard speed 400 can motors.

I am using a GP 3700 MAH Mimh 10 cell pack (to give the model some weight) which has a discharge max of 100 amps. although the jeti esc is a 40 amp rating and in the event I am only drawing about 30 amps on 2x APC 6x4.5 props. Gives flight times of over half an hour with some serious throttle use as well.

Sprinter was featured in quiet and electric flight recently, gel coat of silver looks very nice.

Al.

Comment

Gas soldering irons? I find em to be excellent. I got one of the original Portasol kits way back when they were first launched. Its quoted on their website as equalling around 10 to 60W

If the solder head supplied is not imparting enough heat, larger ones (up to 4.8mm) are available, or using the mini blow torch attachment I have managed to get thin sheet steel and copper wire to glow cherry red! Should be enough heat in that for most of your needs.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          Gas soldering irons? I find em to be excellent. I got one of the original Portasol kits way back when they were first launched. Its quoted on their website as equalling around 10 to 60W

If the solder head supplied is not imparting enough heat, larger ones (up to 4.8mm) are available, or using the mini blow torch attachment I have managed to get thin sheet steel and copper wire to glow cherry red! Should be enough heat in that for most of your needs.

Nice one Morr

I am checking them out on t'internet

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
            Hi,

I have only recently got into electric flight and am flying a multiplex twin star on standard speed 400 can motors.

I am using a GP 3700 MAH Mimh 10 cell pack (to give the model some weight) which has a discharge max of 100 amps. although the jeti esc is a 40 amp rating and in the event I am only drawing about 30 amps on 2x APC 6x4.5 props. Gives flight times of over half an hour with some serious throttle use as well.

Sprinter was featured in quiet and electric flight recently, gel coat of silver looks very nice.

Al.
            10 cells and 30A on a pair of 400s? Whew! I hope you have a ready supply! Good length flight time though. I manage around 6 - 7 mins on the Sprinter if I'm in hooligan mode, though the motor is a hungry beast.

I was thinking about buying my son a twinstar to teach him on. They seem to get good reviews.

I take it you've come to electric from another discipline?
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Don't know if it helps but I solder sarter cables and the like with an old type copper soldering iron thats shaped like a small axe and heated on the gas. I bought it at a car boot for 1.50 and use plumbing flux and solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                10 cells and 30A on a pair of 400s? Whew! I hope you have a ready supply! Good length flight time though. I manage around 6 - 7 mins on the Sprinter if I'm in hooligan mode, though the motor is a hungry beast.

I was thinking about buying my son a twinstar to teach him on. They seem to get good reviews.

I take it you've come to electric from another discipline?
                Twin star is great, yes, i have flown IC mainly four stroke for a long time on and off.

http://www.plawner.net/video/videos.html#TwinStar%20II

good vid links here for you.

The 10 cell GP is OK with the 400's as long as you dont give it full throttle all the time which would burn them out in no time at all. I also use 3700 8 cells and get about 17 mins on these. If electric trainers are your bag consider a Multiplex Magister but bin the motor and gearbox and fit a brushless and you are away. They fly superbly and look like a cessna in the air. I have one with an os 46LA installed and its great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
                  Don't know if it helps but I solder sarter cables and the like with an old type copper soldering iron thats shaped like a small axe and heated on the gas. I bought it at a car boot for 1.50 and use plumbing flux and solder.

Good info my friend. I need something I can take to the field with me though.

Cheers

Al.

Comment

This is what i use. It doesn't have a make or model number, just US Patent Nos, but is available through RS components. I have photographed it laying on a sheet of A4 with the lid off, to give an idea of the size. I have used it to solder 14SWG hard drawn copper wire in a gale. There are several different bit sizes available and I think the top setting is equivalent to 120W.
                    Attached Files
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi, Dont know if this is of any help, Got this small gas lighter powered torch
                      from Maplins quite a while ago, As you can see it takes a refillable gas lighter
                      with the thumb wheel removed, Peco start and gives a good pencil jet,
                      Dont know the wattage but i've soldered 1mm copper and brass parts for the
                      model BB with it, It was about £5 i think around 3 years ago
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                        Hi, Dont know if this is of any help, Got this small gas lighter powered torch
                        from Maplins quite a while ago, As you can see it takes a refillable gas lighter
                        with the thumb wheel removed, Peco start and gives a good pencil jet,
                        Dont know the wattage but i've soldered 1mm copper and brass parts for the
                        model BB with it, It was about £5 i think around 3 years ago

Thanx for all the input guyz.

Will be sourcing this weekend.

Al.

Comment

Working...
                        X