Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchdog tonight

Anyone see Watchdog ?
    A J reg Surf being loaded on to a Truck after not being repaired by Engines Direct of Twickenham.
    *Attention Steer Clear*
    Buncefield Burner

Originally posted by Surferjess
    Anyone see Watchdog ?
    A J reg Surf being loaded on to a Truck after not being repaired by Engines Direct of Twickenham.
    *Attention Steer Clear*

Heard about it earlier on and was going to watch the program...damn...anyone on here?

Hope its not Plodger.....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...9&postcount=10
    Last edited by Gizmo; 7 February 2006, 20:18.
    Gaz

Comment

They have been famous around here for their 'expert' services to your wallet , but not your engine rebuild .

Many stories of rebuilt engines that wont even turn by a spanner because the wrong bearings have been put on the crank .

Cracked heads/blocks and missing parts also part of the service , free of care , but not charge .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Been robbed by Engines Direct

Argh I missed that - Those thieving *&^%$, Lottie/we got done by them.

Lottie had a Peugeot 306 S16 which for those not in the know is the 2.0 16v version of the 306 which preceded the GTi-6. Engines are rare as rocking horse doo doo so when the big ends went we looked into all the options and found engines direct who would replace/refurb for £600. No explanation of any small print... it ended up being £1500 and the car came back dented.

After 2 weeks delay, we got some mates in the Surf and went up to Twickenham to get the car back. Some of the things we saw... including a woman who picked up her car and it broke down in front of us less then 10 miles away (we were lucky that the engine ran ok but we sold the car on not long after, a decision we had already made to do).

I rang trading standards when we got back but they weren't very interested, can't believe I missed this tonight.

I investigated the firm and suspect they are a phoenix company but no action I could take on this was going to help get any money back. It was more tempting to hook the gates up to the Surf, pull them down and torch the place.

I hope the thieving gits get closed down and worse.
        Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Snoop

These guys have been in buisness for years , no one has succeded in closing them down . Suprised anyone uses them .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            Snoop

These guys have been in buisness for years , no one has suceeded in closing them down . Suprised anyone uses them .
            yeah, these guys are predators for people in the same position we were in. We knew the engine was knackered and couldn't find a replacement. We saw the number in the back of a motoring rag saying peugeot engines supplied so gave them a ring. They sounded ok, offering to pick up the car even.

Where do you go to check out if the garage you are using is a "garage from hell"? I even put the name in the web browser to see if I could check their website before the car went in, but there was nothing on the web. Only afterwards with much searching did I find a couple of warnings from customers on "local" Twickenham sites.

As I say, I wanted to nail the b******* to the wall when they were abusive, actually close to violent at one point but you wouldn't mess with my mate I took and eventually it was stand-off. They didn't give a monkeys about the work and refused to admit the dent was done by them - even though the car had been wedged in their car park when we went to collect.

We had rung them to make them put the old crank they said was knackered in the boot. When we got it checked out, the crank wasn't even from a Peugeot.
            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

recommended links & others [bad guys]

This link should be extended so as we all could get recommendations from other surf like people, to save getting ripped off!

How a bout a good [recommended]

And a BAD list [wait for it not recommended] etc.

Unless I missed something some ware!

????

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                Heard about it earlier on and was going to watch the program...damn...anyone on here?

Hope its not Plodger.....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...9&postcount=10

Missed it tonight, having G.I. beefburgers with family doing same "lifestyle eating" as the missus and I. Didn't seem too happy when I told them I had fish and chips for lunch!!
                As for the engine, Steveo is fitting a recon into the Surf on the 25th of Feb. Can't wait!!!

Comment

Here is the article on the BBC's website

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Gatecrash Posse

Originally posted by Snoop
                    Argh I missed that - Those thieving *&^%$, Lottie/we got done by them.

Lottie had a Peugeot 306 S16 which for those not in the know is the 2.0 16v version of the 306 which preceded the GTi-6. Engines are rare as rocking horse doo doo so when the big ends went we looked into all the options and found engines direct who would replace/refurb for £600. No explanation of any small print... it ended up being £1500 and the car came back dented.

After 2 weeks delay, we got some mates in the Surf and went up to Twickenham to get the car back. Some of the things we saw... including a woman who picked up her car and it broke down in front of us less then 10 miles away (we were lucky that the engine ran ok but we sold the car on not long after, a decision we had already made to do).

I rang trading standards when we got back but they weren't very interested, can't believe I missed this tonight.

I investigated the firm and suspect they are a phoenix company but no action I could take on this was going to help get any money back. It was more tempting to hook the gates up to the Surf, pull them down and torch the place.

I hope the thieving gits get closed down and worse.
                    Maybe you hit on an Idea Snoop (Gatecrash Posse of Surf's)
                    Close em down (illegally) If if it can't be done Legally.
                    This my personal view & am not advocating a Jihad.

There's always a pay back... you just can't see it comin !!!
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Your Thread

I have now sent Watchdog a letter explaining how the Government has moved the goalposts re use of veg oil. I had a call yesterday from a London office, who are sending me a form of some description, which i am sure, means that they will charge me 47.1 rather than the 27.1p i am paying at present. The people i feel sory for are people who paid £600 plus for Elsbet systems or similar and then are told to pay 47.1 at a later date. Its not worth it.
                      To say the Government is interested in cutting harmful emissions is rubbish.
                      If every diesel vehicle ran on 20% veg/bio diesel, then we would exceed the Kyoto agreement, for reducing emissions, cetainly as far as diesel engines go. By thinning the vegetable oil, with diesel, petrol, as i do, or whatever, then the main problem i think can happen is pump seal, may leak after a while, but its not a huge job to replace.
                      I hope they ask me to pay back tax which they may say i have underpaid. This i think i will refuse to do and let them take me to court. If that happens i will be on here, looking for as much help as possible. I would also tell local papers etc. Would be a bit like George Burns film, where he turns up in court to prove that he is God. Not good news for Government if there is publicity, showing that they are taking people to court for being enviromental.
                      Rant Over.
                      Still Searching,
                      Dick Whittington

Comment

Apparently there was a call for me the other day about it and they said they have put it in writing.
                        Will see what arrives.

Originally posted by Philip
                        I have now sent Watchdog a letter explaining how the Government has moved the goalposts re use of veg oil. I had a call yesterday from a London office, who are sending me a form of some description, which i am sure, means that they will charge me 47.1 rather than the 27.1p i am paying at present. The people i feel sory for are people who paid £600 plus for Elsbet systems or similar and then are told to pay 47.1 at a later date. Its not worth it.
                        To say the Government is interested in cutting harmful emissions is rubbish.
                        If every diesel vehicle ran on 20% veg/bio diesel, then we would exceed the Kyoto agreement, for reducing emissions, cetainly as far as diesel engines go. By thinning the vegetable oil, with diesel, petrol, as i do, or whatever, then the main problem i think can happen is pump seal, may leak after a while, but its not a huge job to replace.
                        I hope they ask me to pay back tax which they may say i have underpaid. This i think i will refuse to do and let them take me to court. If that happens i will be on here, looking for as much help as possible. I would also tell local papers etc. Would be a bit like George Burns film, where he turns up in court to prove that he is God. Not good news for Government if there is publicity, showing that they are taking people to court for being enviromental.
                        Rant Over.
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

yep - i saw those crooks on watchdog - and the surf being taken away

sorry to hear you guys are getting tax rate changed, i though they might start going trhough paperwork and charging people more.
                          I am using up a load of veg i bought in oct/nov
                          and only running 10% at moment due to cold weather
                          not worth buyin veg at moment, as costco charge 47ppl now
                          and even with tesco etc 42-43ppl, once you add on tax @47ppl, diesel is cheaper....
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

Just a thought with people bringing up tax; why not shop Engines Direct to the tax man, and vat man and social and any one else you can think of I bet there acounts arn't all sweetness and light

Comment

This is why honesty gets you nowhere. Don't tell the robbing bas****s nothing, and use the veg oil anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X