Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

Just had the wheels balanced, but still getting a slight shake on the steering at 70 mph. Two places have now told me, that the tyres I have on, are more adapted for snow than road. Probable cause of shake could be that they are not ideal for speed so could go slightly out of shape and create the " wobble" at speed.

Does this make sense to anyone, if so, what do you all reccommend.

Size is 265x70x16

cheers

Fieldsy

Originally posted by Fieldsy
    Just had the wheels balanced, but still getting a slight shake on the steering at 70 mph. Two places have now told me, that the tyres I have on, are more adapted for snow than road. Probable cause of shake could be that they are not ideal for speed so could go slightly out of shape and create the " wobble" at speed.

Does this make sense to anyone, if so, what do you all reccommend.

Size is 265x70x16

cheers

Fieldsy
    what make are they, you know what they used to do, balance them on the car it got rid of that problem, dont know if it can be done still
    Last edited by gemini; 3 September 2003, 22:36.
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hi Ian,

by the way, I still want that sticker for the bumper, just got too many other things on my mind at the mo!!

Anyway, complete info on the tyres as this;

LANDAIR/SL S-110
      ZARAMEC compound
      FALKEN studless
      265/70R/16 1120

They also have three logos on them which look like sails of a boat, one has what looks like waves in it, the second has a tree, and the third looks like a swirl of wind???????????

I've never heard of these, so perhaps you could enlighten me, and advise whether to get rid or not.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

From reading over at yotatech and other places, it appears that the wheels may be lug-centric rather than the normal hub-centric wheels more commonly found, this means they must be balanced on a machine which holds the wheel using the normal bolt holes rather than the more usual method of the tapered sleeve.

I've never personally had a problem with conventional balancing on a Surf, but it might be worth looking into.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

There can also be an issue with the "roundness" of the tire. Believe it or not but not all new tires are completely round. Some have high or low spots and no amount of balancing can get rid of this!

Another thing to remember is that Jap tires have different compounds in the rubber and are not designed for the climate over here (wet)

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
            There can also be an issue with the "roundness" of the tire. Believe it or not but not all new tires are completely round. Some have high or low spots and no amount of balancing can get rid of this!

Another thing to remember is that Jap tires have different compounds in the rubber and are not designed for the climate over here (wet)
            if they are jap tyres they could be illegal over here
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
              if they are jap tyres they could be illegal over here
              Good point Ian, well worth checking if you got it straight off the boat.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Hmm??

Would it have passed the MOT and SVA with jap tyres??

What are your recommendations for replacements for this size??. Its mainly gonna be road.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

Hmm??

What are your recommendations for replacements for this size??. Its mainly gonna be road.

cheers

Fieldsy
                  BFG AT's are good, got them on mine quiet on the road pretty good traction as well with good off road capability. I am pleased with them.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

I have Pirelli Scorpion's on mine. I can't fault them.

Comment

Hmm??

cheers

Fieldsy
                      ive seen imports that has passed an mot with jap tyres on that are illegal, depends on the garage really how close they look, as for the sva not sure if one would get through or not, they're probably to busy checking how far the stereo button protrudes to notice, tyres same as koi bfg a/t's excellent!
                      [size=5][/size]

Comment

thanks for the advice, gonna go for the types mentioned.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

thanks for the advice, gonna go for the types mentioned.

cheers

Fieldsy
                          fieldsy these are good as well more a road tyre bf goodrich long trail 80% road 20% off road
                          Attached Files
                          [size=5][/size]

Comment

thanks Ian,

I've got a a selection of at least three now

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

Hmm??

cheers

Fieldsy
                              No it wouldn't pass either test with tyres like that , what they normally do is change the wheels with another vehicle just for the test , and then switch them back after .

Comment

Working...
                              X