Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shocking Question

Now I've got your attention . . .

My mate's Surf has a dead passenger side battery and he needs to get a new one.

The driver's side battery is rated at about 600 CCA (not exactly sure, but rough guestimate)

Would he have to replace the passenger side battery with an equal CCA battery, or could he get say a 380 - 400 CCA?

Would the lower rate battery overcharge and stop working, or would this be ok?

The batteries are wired in series by the way.

Thanks
    Just Vegging Out

Originally posted by dleach2103
    ...The batteries are wired in series by the way....
    I hope not, wiring in series means you add the volts! To be in series they would have to be 6V batteries, or convert the vehicle to 24V

Your aiming for around 720CCA with a standard twin battery (wired in parallel) so if your good one is indeed around 600, then a lower CCA could be used on the other side, however, it is generally best practise to replace both at the same time with similar units to ensure even loading across the batteries and therefore longest service life for them.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

The batteries are wired in series by the way
      Sorry my mistake. I meant parallel

"12 V batteries are in pararell. japs have lots of toys added so the extra battery compensates for this"

So says the sticky thread.

So he should be able to put a lower rated one on if he needs to?It would only be for a few weeks until he could change both. He has a spare 380 CCA which he could use until he swaps them both.
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Sorry my mistake. I meant parallel

"12 V batteries are in pararell. japs have lots of toys added so the extra battery compensates for this"

So says the sticky thread.

So he should be able to put a lower rated one on if he needs to?It would only be for a few weeks until he could change both. He has a spare 380 CCA which he could use until he swaps them both.
        If its only temporary, then slap in the spare one. This is of course assuming the spare is known to be a good un, otherwise it may contribute to a quicker downfall of the larger one....

If the existing 660CCA is in good shape then it should be OK on that alone once the dying battery has been removed (or just disconnect the earth on the dying one), unless of course (there's always an if or a but isn't there!) you're in serious below zero temps.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
        X