cheap winch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap winch?

As like everybody else I would like a winch on the surf? so came up with a cheap one bought a half ton chain block and tacke at an auction as it had 30 feet of chains the lifting chain has been left at thirty feet and the operating chain which is only mild steel shortened to about two and a half feet welded back together so if it is fastened to truck or tree the operating chains dont get tangled plus with it being chain if it brakes there is less chanse of it whiping back and doing damage to people or truck?
    Is this logical or just a bit to easy???????

Originally posted by spoofer28
    As like everybody else I would like a winch on the surf? so came up with a cheap one bought a half ton chain block and tacke at an auction as it had 30 feet of chains the lifting chain has been left at thirty feet and the operating chain which is only mild steel shortened to about two and a half feet welded back together so if it is fastened to truck or tree the operating chains dont get tangled plus with it being chain if it brakes there is less chanse of it whiping back and doing damage to people or truck?
    Only problem I can see that you are using a half ton chain block on a 2 ton truck, which when stuck in mud could equate to a 4 ton line pull.

Apart from that no!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
      Only problem I can see that you are using a half ton chain block on a 2 ton truck, which when stuck in mud could equate to a 4 ton line pull.

Apart from that no!

Suppose he could invest in a few snatch blocks and pulleys... get enough pulleys in the line you could pull the beast out by hand
      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

If you want to go for a manual winch, I'd strongly advise going for a Tirfor or similar winch that'll pull up to 8 or 9000LB's. Double the weight of the vehicle. Serious damage can be done with a broken winch rope/wire or chain.
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

just an experiment to see if it would work and as the block and tackle was only £8 and 15 min work nothing really lost just have to look out for a bigger block and tackle?

Comment

used tirfor winch a few times... a bit of setting up and obvioulsy harder work... but pulled out surf easily.

and it was a big one... so REALLY heavy!!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

got a 4 ton yale one at the same auction but only got short chain and that is a lever ratched system will have to go back auctions and see what i can find

Comment

champion winches

Originally posted by spoofer28
                YO spoofer if you want a winch try the guys in the know 01257473572 he said that he would give us club discount tell them peter from blackburn sent you gollygone

Comment

Its not these 2 is it?
                  Attached Files
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Its not these 2 is it?
                    OUCH!

Comment

Working...