brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

has anyone had any joy with improving the braking effieciency on there surf,
    yes i know its a 2 ton lump with drums in the rear and vented discs up front but mine are pi$$ poor at stopping in a hurry, its got new pads and all the pistons are free
    just wondering if you can get EBC red stuff pads or something similar.

reason being i dont what to try my bull bars out on someones rear just yet
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

i was looking at trying to get some discs made by DBA but I think are £$£$$£!
    im about to change calipers/discs/pads so any ideas would be great!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      i was looking at trying to get some discs made by DBA but I think are £$£$$£!
      im about to change calipers/discs/pads so any ideas would be great!
      welsh hills and big caravan does not = fun
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I accept that i'm a minority here but i find my brakes are pretty good. It has certinly helped since i got new discs and pads fitted (from millners). I've driven a multitude of vehicles as we all have but I can honestly say that the surf brakes are no worse than any other heavyish car i've driven but no brakes on earth can compare to a Citroen BX.
        Cheers

Simon

MPG? Don't you mean GPM.

Comment

I had my new discs 12 grooved and this works wonders with genuine pads
          3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Can't say I've found any problems with mine and they're standard so far as I'm aware. Fairly sure if I stood on them I could lock all four wheels. I haven't had any hairy moments when stopping yet, even on wet roads.
            Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
              Can't say I've found any problems with mine and they're standard so far as I'm aware. Fairly sure if I stood on them I could lock all four wheels. I haven't had any hairy moments when stopping yet, even on wet roads.
              Mine are fine also. Can lock the wheels without a problem and all standard kit
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Mine are standard and I can lock my mud tyres up on dry roads if I stomp on the pedal.

Comment

its not the power im worried about its fade...
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    its not the power im worried about its fade...

mine do the same i presume thats a disk and pad problem......
                    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I find that rear shoes dont seam to have much effect especially after being offroad. Remove rear drums & give them a clean. Then adjust rear brakes & things are fine again.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Ours work just fine, even with jubious brakes on a hire trailer with another Surf on the back.

Make sure the rear brakes are working, if these are out of adjustment it makes a huge difference to how the brakes feel.

Don't forget not all aftermaket pads are equal.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I notice a few of you can "lock all 4 wheels"... Is this on a thrid gen, i have a second gen and can get the front to lock up on wet or dry, the rear never seem to do much at all... was then same when went through its MOT so presumed this was normal, rear wheel drive / front wheel brake...

it can be a bit bad to stop in wet... nearly slid into the back of a few cars.. i don't worry about it though.. they'd come off worse!
                          Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
                            I notice a few of you can "lock all 4 wheels"... Is this on a thrid gen, i have a second gen and can get the front to lock up on wet or dry, the rear never seem to do much at all... was then same when went through its MOT so presumed this was normal, rear wheel drive / front wheel brake...

it can be a bit bad to stop in wet... nearly slid into the back of a few cars.. i don't worry about it though.. they'd come off worse!
                            I hope its not on 3rd Gens, coz they all have ABS

On my old 2nd Gen I can't recall ever locking the rear wheels either, and the front very, very rarely, but I still feel the brakes were more than adequate, perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough
                            Maurice
                            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

sometimes when i drop the jetski into the water the rear wheels would somtimes also be lowered into the water this would cause the rear wheels to lock up by just very lightly touching them but this would soon wear off after a couple of mins of driving..........
                              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Working...
                              X