Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear hubs assembly

Hi all ,
    I have a 2nd gen surf and am needing to get inside my rear hubs as i need to tighten my rear shoes up. I had new shoes fitted a few months back so i know how to tighten but not sure how to get the rear hubs off to get to the adjuster. all help greatfully recieved.
    ty Davey boy

In most cases the drums come of easy after removing the wheels, there are threaded holes in the drums to screw bolts in to to push it off. If you have a big lip on the drums, you may need to back of the brake shoes first, but not normally.

The shoes should self adjust as long as you use the handbrake, check the self adjuster isn't rusted up.

Originally posted by Davey boy
    Hi all ,
    I have a 2nd gen surf and am needing to get inside my rear hubs as i need to tighten my rear shoes up. I had new shoes fitted a few months back so i know how to tighten but not sure how to get the rear hubs off to get to the adjuster. all help greatfully recieved.
    ty Davey boy
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      In most cases the drums come of easy after removing the wheels, there are threaded holes in the drums to screw bolts in to to push it off. If you have a big lip on the drums, you may need to back of the brake shoes first, but not normally.

The shoes should self adjust as long as you use the handbrake, check the self adjuster isn't rusted up.
      Thanxs tony i was told when the new shoes where fitted that they wouldn't adjust on there own the garage that fitted them used a set on long nose pliers on a slotted tooth nut in between the top of the two shoes if there is a self adjuster wear would i find it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Davey boy
        Thanxs tony i was told when the new shoes where fitted that they wouldn't adjust on there own the garage that fitted them used a set on long nose pliers on a slotted tooth nut in between the top of the two shoes if there is a self adjuster wear would i find it ?
        The garage is talking $hite, the self adjuster is a threaded adjuster in the middle of the hub assembly, with levers connecting it to the handbrake linkage. After fitting new shoes, you pull the handbrake up and down and can hear the adjuster clicking round till the shoes are set the right distance from the drum.

If you can get it to my Garage one day soon I can show you quickly enough.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          The garage is talking $hite, the self adjuster is a threaded adjuster in the middle of the hub assembly, with levers connecting it to the handbrake linkage. After fitting new shoes, you pull the handbrake up and down and can hear the adjuster clicking round till the shoes are set the right distance from the drum.

If you can get it to my Garage one day soon I can show you quickly enough.
          Right again Tony. Unless they left out the little lever that does the adjusting. Nothing surprises me when working on cars. I saw an example of a thermostat install that was horribly wrong today. It was wedged in sideways.

Nev

Comment

Working...
          X