temperature again!!!!!!! Sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temperature again!!!!!!! Sorry

Just noticed how fast my Surf heats to the half way mark( after about 5 minutes).
    It never seams to rise after that, no mater the journey i go on and always sits at the half way point.

Is this normal????????

Cheers

Just topped up radiator today(silver metal cap ). filled it right to top. took it a short run waited for it to cool and re checked. had to stick another 1ltr in it.

Is this because i filled it to much in the first place and has expanded overflowing into the white plastic tank,with wee mad tube stickin out it(sorry for lack of technical terms )????????
    therefor everythin is ok?????????

Cheers again
    Last edited by smiffy; 2 February 2006, 22:59. Reason: checked rad level
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Originally posted by smithsurf
    Just noticed how fast my Surf heats to the half way mark( after about 5 minutes).
    It never seams to rise after that, no mater the journey i go on and always sits at the half way point.

Is this normal????????

Cheers
    Hello

Mine gets up to temp a bit quicker than that - that's normal for most cars. Sounds like you've had a car with a stuck open thermostat - engine (especially in winter) will take ages to warm up and reduce your fuel economy.

Also, mine sits in the middle of the guage - start to panic if the needle wanders up and down - 2.4 surfs have cracked head problems (mine did - ouch)
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Normal until you start towing up hill .
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

well mine takes about 2-3 miles until the heater gets even vaguely warm, but then on whatever the weather and whatever I'm towing up whatever hill it just sits in the middle of the guage.
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

edited question after checking Radiator water level and need more help.

Cheers again

Comment

you say you topped the radiator up by a litre? do you have to do this often? when you stop after a journey where the engines been running up to temperature for a while do you ever see it taking a leak from its overflow bottle?
            got a 2.4 engine.?

if you answer yes to these questions you might want to talk to tonyN.

mine had those symptoms and im sure you can guess from reading many posts on the subject what the inevitable problem was...

mine lasted 6 months with many many miles of abuse before i resorted to getting it repaired, if indeed yours has a similar problem.
            she's no angel

Comment

you're suposed to have water in the expansion bottle... otherwise it will suck in air when it cools down.

it should be about 1/4-1/2 full cold (as long as it covers the end of the pipe) then when hot the water expands and dumps a little more in there... then sucks it back as it cools.

it should never fill up, just a small amount.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ah,cheers guys makes sense now.

Just re-checked again. Think the system was low to begin with. Radiator and overflow both have correct levels.
                The large hose that connects to radiator was full so a slight squeeze and i could see the water. About 1/4 in overflow tank and the pipes submerged.
                Nothin out the blow off pipe. No more water needed.....pheeeew

You learn somethin new every day

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X