Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep

Hi Guys,

Whilst searching for a Surf a M8 has suggested a Jeep.

Anyone had one of these?

Comments good/bad please...

Cheers,
    Steve.
    Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Originally posted by Paff

Cheers,
    Steve.

Brave manLight blue touch paper and run
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by ianwoodzie
      Brave manLight blue touch paper and run
      The brand new Jeep Grand Cherokees leak around the grab handles unless they have been resealed (strip all the door rubber, move and seal the overlapping seam). Not too good on a brand new motor.

The best Jeeps are the older, squarer types (see below for a nice 'Sport' edition, with very cool tyres!) The older 4.0 litre petrol models have a lot of power, but they aren't that reliable and drink more than a fish in the desert who's just eaten a load of salt. The 2.5 diesel models are much better. Try and get a Sport version for all the mod cons, but they're like gold dust, especially if you want a 2.5 TD manual. There are some Limited Edition models (such as 'Stealth', with black paintwork, interior and rims. Look quite cool). Expect to pay a little more for the LEs, but the 4.0 Jeeps are pretty cheap whatever you go for, as they're not that popular.

Check out the Surf's For Sale section of the forum. There are some lovely examples there for great prices. If you were considering a 2.5 Jeep, you should consider a 2.4 Surf, as my Surf runs as well as the Jeep engine, with all the benefits of being a Toyota!
      _______
      /_/ _ | 0\__
      \,...__,..._ /
      _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Hi Guys,

Anyone had one of these?

Cheers,
        Steve.

Sh1te..........buy a surf.
        [IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/DONKR1/me.jpg[/IMG]
        [url]www.qube-art.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by qube3
          Sh1te..........buy a surf.

could not agree more,****e buy a surf,brotherin law had one ,got rid and bought a toyota hilux

Comment

my dad had a 4.0 sport version of the square ones - fast and firsty. I drove it too fast with an xmas tree on top and it snapped the ropes and the tree turned sideways! Was wondering why everyone was flashing me...

I think there's something about driveshafts or something with them though - can't remember, but I know he shifted it on sharpish all of a sudden.

Your bound to get an unbiased opinion asking about Jeep on a toyota forum!
            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

I was considering a jeep but saw the light that is the surf. I asked around quite a lot and the electrics are a problem on them as are the rear diffs which tend to wear quite badly and cost a bit to replace. Also i believe the 2.5 auto boxes are fragile.
              Cheers

Simon

MPG? Don't you mean GPM.

Comment

I think the Jeeps look nice, boxy and rugged..but wouldn't buy one on that basis alone.

Comment

I had one, absolute parcel of dung!!! the earlier square type ie around 1996 2.5 diesel is a vm italian engine. Vm make the engine primarily for boats (I kid you not). They make a 4,5 and 6 cylinder version instead of making 4,5 and 6 cylinder heads they make single heads for each piston. If one of these fellas go you are talking around £500.00 all in for repair per HEAD.

The heads didn't go on mine it blew a conrod 45 minutes after i put in the autotrader grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Agricultural gearbox, naff power and less mpg than the surf, I get around 300 miles to full tank on surf which takes about 58L of fuel the cherokeek took 72L and did 375 miles.

Parts for chrysler are an extortionate price also out of curiosity ring chrysler and ask the price for a front brake disc, no one makes pattern parts for jeep.

Bought the surf after the jeep and it is 20 times the truck the jeep was.

JEEP

Look at www.peachorlemon.com
                  Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a woman??

Comment

Hi Guys,

Anyone had one of these?

Cheers,
                    Steve.
                    DO NOT DO IT.????
                    SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon811
                      I was considering a jeep but saw the light that is the surf. I asked around quite a lot and the electrics are a problem on them as are the rear diffs which tend to wear quite badly and cost a bit to replace. Also i believe the 2.5 auto boxes are fragile.
                      I had one for 2 years when I lived in the UAE. Amazing beast for power and also amazing off road.

However....

1 new gearbox, 2 new rear axles and a blown engine at 62K miles puts you off a bit. Mine was a 96 4.0 Limited. Fully loaded. Really good off road in sand and rocks, great articulation, and lots of power even though it was pretty light.

Wouldn't have another one as I couldn't live with the fuel economy or the expense of getting it fixed (Parts are horrendous even if you fix it yourself).

However an old shape Jeep Cherokee like the picture is another story. Absolutely unbreakable and awesome off road - but again the thirst will kill your bank balance.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Many Thanks

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread...

Seems like all roads lead to a Surf

I was just trying to make sure that the Surf was the best option for me to go for and you lot have confirmed that...

Soooooooooooooooooo, would you say that this forum is best to buy from or would ebay for a private deal or a dealer with a fresh import be the best idea?

I would be looking for a 3.0L 2 Gen 92 ish model in the next 2 to 3 months.

Comment

....I would be looking for a 3.0L 2 Gen 92 ish model in the next 2 to 3 months.

Well it'll only be 92 ish as you say, coz the 3.0 was introduced for the '93 model year

You may of course find a late 92 3.0 (built after august), but looking at '93's is where your really at.
                          Last edited by lucky; 26 January 2006, 13:12.
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                            Well it'll only be 92 ish as you say, coz the 3.0 was introduced for the '93 model year

You may of course find a late 92 3.0 (built after august), but looking at '93's is where your really at.
                            OK, so would it be best to go for a 93 model?

Is there an issue with the first year they introduced the 3.0?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Morr

Actually it was late 93 early 94 for the 3 litre (L reg onwards). K reg 93 is still 2.4.

Comment

Working...
                              X