wheel the belt goes round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel the belt goes round

hi dont know much about surf engines so can anybody tell me what the wheel is for at the front of the engine were the belt goes around,it seems to be two wheels in one and the outside wheel only kicks in from time to time and stops for a bit then starts again,should this be happening and should it look wonkey or off centre when its going around.regards bri

Commonly called an idler pulley . Desigined to stop excessive throw in the belts . Should run free and true . Often seize up as not often in use .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Sounds like the air con condensor to me. The outside is going round all the tim, but the inside stops and starts as necessary...
      It just does, OK?

Comment

not sure which one you refering to (a picture prehaps?) I wouldn't have thought it should be "wonky" though!
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Do the belts also stop. If they do then I think you are refering to the harmonic balancer. If it is doing what you say then stop driving and fix it ASAP. It will only get worse and if sliping can flatten battery, cause overheating because the water pump is not working and cause a lot of damage if it comes apart. If not then just ignore everything I just said.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            Sounds like the air con condensor to me. The outside is going round all the tim, but the inside stops and starts as necessary...
            Like this one
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              Like this one
              Crikey!! That engine bay is gleaming!!!
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by brian88883
                hi dont know much about surf engines so can anybody tell me what the wheel is for at the front of the engine were the belt goes around,it seems to be two wheels in one and the outside wheel only kicks in from time to time and stops for a bit then starts again,should this be happening and should it look wonkey or off centre when its going around.regards bri

Brian.

Here is a picture of the pulleys at the front of a 3.0lt Surf engine. I haven't seen a 2.4, but presume they are the same?

To answer your questions. No it shouldn't be wonkey. No pulley should ever be wonkey. This could be due to either a loose pulley, or the bearings have gone. It should spin all the time. If it's stopping then your belts must be very slack. Are you getting a screaching noise when you pull away hard, or on start up? The only other thing you might be talking about is the aircon pulley, the bit that engages when you have the aircon on. The belt goes round all the time, but I think the inner bit starts and stops.

Hope this helps??
                Attached Files
                Last edited by M35A2; 25 January 2006, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  Crikey!! That engine bay is gleaming!!!

Yes. When you are in the shiney gang, it doesn't just stop at the outside you know!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Like this one

I wish my Turbo was in that position, instead of being buried deep in the bowls of my engine!!

Comment

condenser

Like this one
                      thats the one mate the outer wheel seems to run untrue is it a big problem or easily corrected , and should it stop and start.regards bri

Comment

Has anyone ever rplaced a aircon unit or the bearings in it? if so how much and how difficult?
                        www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X