Computer expert needed, help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer expert needed, help!!

Help. If I receive (or send to myself) emails with a picture attatchment to my Outlook Express account, when you click on the picture to enlarge it, and then use the forward or backward function (as well as slide show) there are all these other pictures from the web coming up. What the hell is going on?

At the top it says Windows picture and fax viewer, then the file name for the picture.

What is happening, and how do I turn it off or stop it saving all this c**p????

Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

Andy

I've just forwarded this to my collegue who's a computer guru (Microsoft certified, gets paid silly money for writing jiberish code!). Hopefully he'll sort it out for you mate.
    _______
    /_/ _ | 0\__
    \,...__,..._ /
    _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
      I've just forwarded this to my collegue who's a computer guru (Microsoft certified, gets paid silly money for writing jiberish code!). Hopefully he'll sort it out for you mate.

Thanks for your help mate. I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Andy what about using your ISP for e-mails, I stopped using outlook ages ago 'cos I think it's rubbish.

Comment

Yep,

The big advantage of webmail is that if you loose your computer, or just the hard disc, you dont loose your address book and old emails. Wouldn't ever use outlook again on a home system after my HD went fritz and I found out how much stuff was on there.

Comment

Totally agree. I switched to webmail (gmail) when it was launched and have never looked back. I can get email on my laptop, desktop, mate's computer, PDA, mobile phone, internet café... Brilliant.

If you have to use a non-web email service (POP or IMAP) I suggest using Mozilla Thunderbird rather than Outlook. It's a much better email client and has such a great support community behind it. It's free to download and use, and is available on PC, Mac and Linux.
            _______
            /_/ _ | 0\__
            \,...__,..._ /
            _(o)__(o)_

Comment

So why are all these images being saved on my attatchments? Is there a setting that I can adjust?

I've just spent ages deleting them all, went on the net, and now they are all back on there again. Bo*****s.

Comment

You might have your viewer set on slideshow.........

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                  So why are all these images being saved on my attatchments? Is there a setting that I can adjust?

I've just spent ages deleting them all, went on the net, and now they are all back on there again. Bo*****s.
                  Sounds like the attachment is being stored in your internet explorers cache.

If you can view the folder structure of where the files are being stored it should read something like ........Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\.......

Internet explorer will cahce images to speed up web browsing, but you can turn it off if you like.

Hope that helps.
                  Cheers.

Comment

Sorry i cannot help you with your problem.
                    Although i would recommend that you give Opera web browser a try.
                    Much better and safer than using outlook express and internet explorer.
                    It means you only have to have the one program running, and it is lightning fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                      You might have your viewer set on slideshow.........

It's not set to slide show.

If I look at my photo's stored in the "my photo's" there isn't any problem.

But if I send myseld a photo from my library, it is accompanied with all these other bits of website etc when you use the forward or reverse on the opened photo. This is really doing my head in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_bax
                        Sounds like the attachment is being stored in your internet explorers cache.

If you can view the folder structure of where the files are being stored it should read something like ........Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\.......

Internet explorer will cahce images to speed up web browsing, but you can turn it off if you like.

Hope that helps.
                        Cheers.

How do I turn this off mate?

Comment

Got 'tools\internet options' on the menu in Internet explorer.

On the dialogue box that opens there should be options for 'Temporary internet files'.

Click the settings button.

Move the slider to drop the cache size down to 1mb.

Also make sure the option 'Check for Newer versions of stored pages' is set to 'every visit to the page'.

If you still get the problem let me know. I have just sent an image to myself to see if i can see what is happening to yours.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_bax
                            Got 'tools\internet options' on the menu in Internet explorer.

On the dialogue box that opens there should be options for 'Temporary internet files'.

Click the settings button.

Move the slider to drop the cache size down to 1mb.

Also make sure the option 'Check for Newer versions of stored pages' is set to 'every visit to the page'.

If you still get the problem let me know. I have just sent an image to myself to see if i can see what is happening to yours.

Cheers.

Thanks, I will try this now and let you know!!

Comment

Right i have just got my test mail and i was right, you have jpg's or image files set to open by default with windows 'picture & fax viewer', when you launch the jpg from Outlook Express which is part of Internet explorer, Outlook needs to cache the file, so it puts it into IE's temporary internet files. So like you say when you click the backwards and forward buttons you will be viewing the temporary internet files.

While reducing your cache in IE5 will reduce some of these files you will still get some images in thier.

Another option is to set the image file type for example GIF or JPG to open in another program such as Internet explorer, which does not have a backwards and forward button.

If you want to do this let me know.
                              Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X