Question About Alternative Fuels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Alternative Fuels??

I know there has been much mutterings about SVO and Biodiesel recently and advantages and disadvantages...ie the whifffffffff........
    Do any of you scientific or not types have a clue whether HEATING OIL would run y diesel engine...
    My mate down the roads is a chemist (Industrial) not y lemsip type chemist. and he swears blind heatin oil would be fine...no smell see and even cheaper than veg oil and isnt RED...
    has any one used it or researched it?..
    I havent got the nerve to just go an try it...

Wadddya reckon??

i reckon heating oils gone up in price so much its hardly worth it! at least with veggie you can claim you were trying to save the planet...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I know that diesel and HO (heating oil) are refined in a very similar way, and share many similar properties. I think HO would be treated in the same way as 'red' diesel (HO is also 'marked' with a type of dye to distinguish it), so a hefty fine could come winging your way if caught using untaxed fuel on the road.

Could use it off-road, as long as it won't damage your engine. Need to find the properties of HO, and some advice from the more mechanically minded people on the 'board.
      _______
      /_/ _ | 0\__
      \,...__,..._ /
      _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
        I know that diesel and HO (heating oil) are refined in a very similar way, and share many similar properties. I think HO would be treated in the same way as 'red' diesel (HO is also 'marked' with a type of dye to distinguish it), so a hefty fine could come winging your way if caught using untaxed fuel on the road.

Could use it off-road, as long as it won't damage your engine. Need to find the properties of HO, and some advice from the more mechanically minded people on the 'board.
        i have been told that heating oil is "dryer" than diesel and not as good a lubricant so you would have to mix a tankfull with a pint of engine oil or your fuel pump would seize up i have never tryed it and i personally would not risk it
        www.floatingpontoonsolutions.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X