Can you fit Nitrous Oxide to a Surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madbiker
    Just a point but nos isn't illegal on a street car as long as you tell your insurance company. And befor you say no one will insure you Adrian Flux do a policy which covers you for the use of nos on the road. I agree not a lot of point on a 4x4 but for the traffic light gp in a skyline, cheapist way to bolt on 100bhp is nos
    Not legal eh ! funny how some of the kits have ' not for road use' printed on them.
    As for bolt on 100 bhp...... also the quickest way to blow it up, just bolting on is not the wisest thing to do.
    Want to make a petrol engine more powerfull, fit a water atomiser.
    Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

The reason alot of companies put 'not for road use' is to cover themselves if the kit is ftted incorectly and lots of bad things happen. All companies that sell parts to modify for performance or racing say that the parts do not have any garentees as thay are race use only and these carry no consumer rights as the race track is very different to the road. When i had a KX500 supermoto used in raceing and the road a brand new £72 kick start broke outside ASDA !!! i was lucky that the dealership replaced it as i mentioned i could prove the bike had not raced since i fitted it and that i was outside a supermarket when it happened!!
      So even though my KX500 was never ever intended as a road bike and all the parts were never warrantied the insurance company still covered me as lond as a ignition key was wired in so the bike couldnt be stolen so easily....
      3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

I found this item on a page produced by a manufacturer of NoS equipment.
        "The legality of nitrous use on the road varies from country to country, even within the EU. However, contrary to what many people believe (including some police officers) nitrous oxide injection is legal for road use in the UK and many other countries (just as are turbo chargers and superchargers). According to the Ministry of Transport, the Highway Code and the MOT handbook there is no law prohibiting the use of nitrous injection. However just as with any tuning modification, the owner must inform their insurance company and obtain adequate cover otherwise any performance modification would be illegal. Therefore the only way you will break the law by having your street car fitted with a nitrous kit in the UK, is if you fail to inform your insurance company that you have one. Insuring a nitrous injected vehicle has become easier since WON joined forces with Adrian Flux to provide all their customers with a better chance of obtaining adequate insurance cover. Some other insurance companies such as Greenlight Insurance also offer cover for nitrous equipped cars.

There is a degree of confusion over the need to have a hazard warning sticker on the outside of the car. We previously explained that nitrous oxide is neither a flammable nor a hazardous gas but it is an oxidiser. There is a legal requirement for commercial vehicles to display a suitable sticker but this does not apply to private vehicles, which are not even obliged to display a green compressed gas sticker. However, displaying such a warning sticker might well be advantageous to you and the emergency services if you were to be involved in any kind of accident, as this would inform them that you were carrying a container of compressed oxidiser."

So.... according to this site it is legal, provided the correct insurance is applied for. regarding the point about,' not for road use ', I would disagree with this on the grounds that an exhaust system badged as 'not for road use' IS illegal as it will invariably not conform to noise regulations. So to state that some parts are for race use and may not be covered by a warranty is misleading.
        On a personal note, if I bought a part for a race vehicle and it failed as a direct result of poor manufacture or substandard materials I would kick up hell about it and sue someone. The very nature of a race machine and its component parts is, to be superior to standard parts.
        Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

I once saw the wheelie truck at brands, that had propane injection into the exhaust stacks, flames 4ft long coming out, now THAT would get you noticed!

Personally I wouldn't bother making my Surf faster, it does what it should do and I'm happy with that but if anyone else wants to do it, fine, lets all hear about it and good luck to em.

It is nice having a Wolf in Sheep's clothing though. Back in the eighties I had a Lotus Sunbeam, first glance it looked like the Vicar Mobile but I had great fun at the trafficlight grand prix blowing the doors off of Golf GTIs & XR3Is, even better after giving them a head start.
          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

i went to look at an GTR skyline today!..

hehehe!!

just gotta measure that it will fit down my driveway!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

On a personal note, if I bought a part for a race vehicle and it failed as a direct result of poor manufacture or substandard materials I would kick up hell about it and sue someone. The very nature of a race machine and its component parts is, to be superior to standard parts.

Yeah its all a load of ****....but i think your above reason is why they relpaced the part. The thing is, racing puts undue stress and its hard to guess what might happent ot a bike or car in a race so its a bit of a get out clause....I wouldnt want my surf much more powerfull anyway, for a start i'd have to massivly upgrade the brakes
              3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                i went to look at an GTR skyline today!..

hehehe!!

just gotta measure that it will fit down my driveway!
                Good man!

was it an r32 r33 or the glorious r34? Aren't they a great car! I still love mine even though its only rear wheel drive rather than 4x4.

Skyline's are great fun, if only I could afford to keep it.

cheers,

Mart
                Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

The R33s are the best ones in my opinion!

http://www.motorbar.co.uk/sky33gtr.htm

Comment

it was an R33 GTR... bit of a dog, bumper broken (from transporter i reckon)... high mileage, bald tyres, it wasn't prepped for sale, but i just wanted a look and sit in to check sizes etc.

but he will take surf px!... might keep an eye on what he gets in, but it'll need a lot of haggling to get the price reasonable!

0-60 in 4.9secs should blow the sisters M3 away nicely!

Comment

oh yeah... i have a link for a DIY nitous kit... i'll dig it out if i can remember! (off to pub now!)

Comment

www.skylineowners.com

Have a look on there (I'm a member!) for any advice and for well looked after cars.

mart
                        Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
                          www.skylineowners.com

Have a look on there (I'm a member!) for any advice and for well looked after cars.

mart
                          just joined today!... called "slug boy" so i look younger!

Comment

You can fit nitrous to a diesel and indeed the tractor pull guys and diesel drag racers do but it’s not for more power; petrol engines don’t like to run lean so extra fuel is often added to protect the engine, with diesels the exact opposite is true and the extra oxygen provided by the nitrous stops the engine running rich. Some extra power MAY be produced by the cooling effect of the expanding nitrous.

Comment

diy N02 http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/n...s-designer.htm
                              if i was going to fit No2 i`d have when off boost so it fills in the gap before the turbo spools up, it will also spool up your turbo quicker and as its only on when not boosting the no2 will last longer.
                              diy lpg http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm same thing or use it to improve economy
                              Last edited by ssray; 17 January 2006, 11:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X