Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you fit Nitrous Oxide to a Surf?

Hi,

Just watched an old episode of 5th Gear where they fitted Nitrous oxide to a VW Golf diesel Automatic. They raced it against a Honda NSX and it only just lost!

Coming from a Jap tuning backround, I know the instant power gains Nitrous Oxide can give, but didn't know you could do it on diesels!

Does anyone know if it can be done, and what sort of power gains you could get on a big 3.0td? I know the power is only short lived, but it could be fun if reliable!

cheers,

Mart
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Talking of short lived,
    Torque converter and propshaft would certainly be methinks if anyone attempted this on such a heavy vehicle not designed for acceleration.

I have heard about N/O being used in diesels before, dunno how they initiate combustion though. Will be interesting to find out.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Apparantly propane or butane injection (can't remember which) is the kiddy for diesels. I am sure I turned up an American web site with destructions on how to make your own propane injection system.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        Apparantly propane or butane injection (can't remember which) is the kiddy for diesels. I am sure I turned up an American web site with destructions on how to make your own propane injection system.
        Is this the site you meant??
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          You don't need to go to the US, 2 or 3 member here have propane assist on their Surfs, and there a few companys doing kits.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17862

Maybe have a nosy at this.

Comment

for nitrous advice try http://www.noswizard.com/ . I was going to nitrous my ford probe as i was planning on building a new engine capable of well over 300hp but couldnt justify it as other things on the car were not so good.

Thing is though, if you want a sports car then buy one, a 4x4 is what it is. I contacted Diesel bob about a box for the surf and he reckons that with his add on to the ecu you can get 20% more torque and power and up to 5mpg extra depending on condition of engine, this to me seems like a better way to gain diesel power plus you don't have to top up gas.
              Cheers

Simon

MPG? Don't you mean GPM.

Comment

From what I've heard (I've never really looked in to it) Nitrous and diesel go together rather well. You would have to worry about the extra strain on the transmission, but I believe it works in a similar manor to that of gas - i.e. helps burn the diesel more efficiently thus producing more power.

There was a thread with a link about gas kits here only yesterday, I'll have a look for it.

Comment

Found it

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...lpg+fumigation

Comment

There's another thing I forgot about!

I remember ads for "Superchips", stating "a 10% power gain to petrol engines, 20% power gain to turbo'd petrol engines, and up to 35% gain to turbo diesels!" In which case this would definitely be the way to go.

I know you'd never get 35%, but 20% would be pretty good.

Think I'll look into that instead. any idea where?

cheers,

Mart

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
                      Hi,

Just watched an old episode of 5th Gear where they fitted Nitrous oxide to a VW Golf diesel Automatic. They raced it against a Honda NSX and it only just lost!

Coming from a Jap tuning backround, I know the instant power gains Nitrous Oxide can give, but didn't know you could do it on diesels!

Does anyone know if it can be done, and what sort of power gains you could get on a big 3.0td? I know the power is only short lived, but it could be fun if reliable!

cheers,

Mart
                      Attached Files

Comment

Really sorry, but I don't get it?

"Stupid boy!" ?

Mart

Comment

hehehe!!

Comment

The thing that amuses me is why people feel the need to fit things like Nitrous, firstly its illegal on a street car, secondly to ensure it works right first time everytime you really need to blue print the motor.
                            As if diesel is not expensive enough already, you then want to go adding more expense by installing nitrous, which lasts minutes !
                            If you want a faster vehicle than you already own, go buy one, and save yourself the heartache.
                            Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

The thing that amuses me is why people feel the need to fit things like Nitrous, firstly its illegal on a street car,
                              Just a point but nos isn't illegal on a street car as long as you tell your insurance company. And befor you say no one will insure you Adrian Flux do a policy which covers you for the use of nos on the road. I agree not a lot of point on a 4x4 but for the traffic light gp in a skyline, cheapist way to bolt on 100bhp is nos

Comment

Working...
                              X