Rolled Hilux Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled Hilux Pickup

1996 MkIII Hilux Pickup - Any advice on how you go about removing the complete cab off this vehicle - tree crashed through roof and smashed in doors and pillars. I have a donor hilux, so am just wondering is it worth having a go at myself! Are there any manuals, websites etc that maybe of some use!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff

Its pretty easy, there are 6 body mounts, then its just a matter of finding and undoing all the wiring and fuel/brake lines.

Last time I did it, I removed everything that could be unbolted, doors, bonnet, glass, seats, etc, then just work your way around undoing things till it's free. Then roll it off sideways!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Its pretty easy, there are 6 body mounts, then its just a matter of finding and undoing all the wiring and fuel/brake lines.

Last time I did it, I removed everything that could be unbolted, doors, bonnet, glass, seats, etc, then just work your way around undoing things till it's free. Then roll it off sideways!
      Good Luck..??
      SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by SSRX3.0TDLE
        Good Luck..??
        Who needs luck when you have power tools!!!

Comment

Who needs luck when you have power tools!!!
          And an ANGLE GRINDER!!!
          DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

top gear, tried it and could not get it off

Comment

Quoted 1,500 euros for doing the full swap from a truck breaker! Seems a bit high!

Approx. how long would it take, he reckons two - three days!

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by safysurfer
                top gear, tried it and could not get it off
                Yeah but they only used fire, water, and gravity, they didn't have power
                tools,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

roll over or being rolled over?

Originally posted by Ravenelli69
                  Quoted 1,500 euros for doing the full swap from a truck breaker! Seems a bit high!

Geoff
                  greetings geoff
                  as long as its the same type hilux you should be able to do it in a day n a half , how many days will it take you to earn 1500 euros? is the question you have to ask yourself. or you could send me some ferry tickets and il do it.
                  but if you do it yourself with the help of a few mates pay them in beer then you will get to know your truck better as you will then know where all the parts go and it will be fun"go on jump in at the deep end good luck gollygone

Comment

Geoff
                    Get it to me! I'll do it for half that!!

Seriously, I did a MK1 pickup cab swap, on my own, in a day and a bit.

Comment

Seriously, I did a MK1 pickup cab swap, on my own, in a day and a bit.
                      Yeah , but you left half the bolts out !!
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                        Yeah , but you left half the bolts out !!
                        But that means half of them were put in!

Comment

Do you have to remove the dashboard seperately or can it be swapped over complete in the new cab (once everyting is disconnected of course)?

6 bolts holding it to the chasis -is that all that ties it together?

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

Geoff

Comment

Do you have to remove the dashboard seperately or can it be swapped over complete in the new cab (once everyting is disconnected of course)?

6 bolts holding it to the chasis -is that all that ties it together?

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

Geoff
                            Can't see a need to take the dash out, you don't want to messing with the wiring to much, just disconnect all the wires and throttle cables from the engine and use the ones on the new cab, The 6 bolts are 3 each side, one at the front, one by your feet and one in the back corner of the cab, thats what locates the body on the chassis.

You'll need to unclip all the fuel and brake lines from around the cab you shouldn't need to disturb the brakes, leave it all dangling away from the body work, unbolt the servo from the bulkhead along with the clutch master cylinder. Don't forget the hand brake cable as well (I did! )

There should be a multi-plug where the wire go out the back of the cab, unscrew the gear knobs so the gaiters can pull overthe sticks as you lift the cab off, or remove them from the gearbox if it makes it easier.

Theres probably a few more bits, but thats the basics, lift the cab up gently and see if stuff is still connected as you lift it away.

Comment

Thanks for the procedure of removing it Tony, one of my mates (who's a mechanic) is going to give me a hand disconnecting all the difficult stuff - which will surely make it easier! Looking forward to sinking my teeth in to this one!

Cheers,

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X