Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japanese year

hiya fellas,
    i'm not an owner of a surf YET! but i was looking at a 1996 3rd gen at a garage and the sales guy lifted the hood to show me a sticker on the timming belt cover which had an unusual japanese style dating, he then continued to explain that japanese dates are different, i think the belts were changed in year 16, does this make sence to anyone? or is he pulling my plonker, if he's correct what are the japanese years in relation to ours?
    thanx in advance
    NEDLUX.

Originally posted by NEDLUX
    hiya fellas,
    i'm not an owner of a surf YET! but i was looking at a 1996 3rd gen at a garage and the sales guy lifted the hood to show me a sticker on the timming belt cover which had an unusual japanese style dating, he then continued to explain that japanese dates are different, i think the belts were changed in year 16, does this make sence to anyone? or is he pulling my plonker, if he's correct what are the japanese years in relation to ours?
    thanx in advance
    NEDLUX.
    Japanese base the years on the Emperoer in power or something like that . I used to do business with a Jap importer who could translate all the info for you . No longer deal with him .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      Japanese base the years on the Emperoer in power or something like that . I used to do business with a Jap importer who could translate all the info for you . No longer deal with him .

thanx vagrant,
      thats similar to what the sales man said, but i just wanted clarification.. still not to sure of the exact date relation though , but cheers for the reply.

Comment

Done a bit more research for you . Last emperor died in 1989 so you count from there , which makes your t belt change last year sometime .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Where was the dealer you went to.Sounds ok but most people change the belts for peace of mind anyway you know for sure that the belts are ok then

Comment

see here

http://www.timwerx.net/odds/eto/years.htm
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              Blummin weird, those Japs!!!!
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Welsh

Originally posted by Valleys boy
                Where was the dealer you went to.Sounds ok but most people change the belts for peace of mind anyway you know for sure that the belts are ok then

The dealer is in Caerphilly, seems like a genuine fella, but i just needed to check he wasn't sinning a yarn. If i can manage to sell my current car (bmw soft top) for a decent wack, i should be able to get it, (a 1996 3rd gen dark purple over silver) nice looking truck, all seems good and he's asking £8000.
                cheers butt...

Comment

Good Link

Originally posted by Koi

thanks KOI
                  good link, explains every thing. so it looks like, on the truck i was looking at, it hasn't had it's belts changed since 2004.
                  cheers KOI......

Comment

You guys are awesome... very impressive...

The thing you need to look for is the de-registration certificate... you may be lucky and find that somewhere in the vehicle... that'll give the mileage at the time they decided to auction/export it... that'll give a few more clues...

Comment

Originally posted by NEDLUX
                      The dealer is in Caerphilly, seems like a genuine fella, but i just needed to check he wasn't sinning a yarn. If i can manage to sell my current car (bmw soft top) for a decent wack, i should be able to get it, (a 1996 3rd gen dark purple over silver) nice looking truck, all seems good and he's asking £8000.
                      cheers butt...

Eight grand!?

Have you look in Capel's in Pengam near Blackwood?

Comment

you can have my 1997 for 8 grand... i'll even deliver it!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                          You guys are awesome... very impressive...

The thing you need to look for is the de-registration certificate... you may be lucky and find that somewhere in the vehicle... that'll give the mileage at the time they decided to auction/export it... that'll give a few more clues...

HI Andylala,
                          is the de-registration cert. a piece of paper that should be with the vehicle/salesman? i haven't heard of it before..
                          cheers for the input..

Comment

Basically the vehicles have to be de-registered before they can leave Japanese roads. They usually go onto the auctions, and get shipped out...

If you are real lucky and the dealers aren't that observant, you'll find it in the vehicle somewhere... Mine was of all places in the glovebox. One of the things that is in the doc, is the mileage at the point the vehicle was de-registered.

BANG! Why did my Surf to be have 25,000K less than the de-registration certificate...? Obviously been clocked...

That was my silver lining... any problems... that was my leverage (amongst other things)...

Comment

capels

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              Eight grand!?

Have you look in Capel's in Pengam near Blackwood?

I've had a look in Capels, there was a nice black on silver 3rd G, last week but i haven't had the chance to get back there yet.. i'm going to guess it's gone already, but i'll keep looking..
                              NEDLUX..

Comment

Working...
                              X