Roof Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack

I need a roof rack that is able to hold a 16' 2" long, 22" wide, 50.7 Lbs Kayak. Any one got any recommondations please??

Was looking at a Kayak rack from Thule, but looking at how close the bars would be on the roof, not sure they would do the job. I could do with a full roof box, but I don't want any holes drilled in the roof. Anyone carry a similar Kayak with their rack??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by M35A2; 7 January 2006, 21:44.

The Thule Hull-A-Port (catchy name) looks like it could do the job, but it's pretty pricey. Probably the solution you were looking at.

Otherwise you could just use two bars and lashings of rope, straps and assorted bunjee cords. I used to carry my surfboards on the roof (not quite as long, around 9ft). With the Surf it's easier to open the tailgate window and chuck them in.

_______
    /_/ _ | 0\__
    \,...__,..._ /
    _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
      The Thule Hull-A-Port (catchy name) looks like it could do the job, but it's pretty pricey. Probably the solution you were looking at.

Otherwise you could just use two bars and lashings of rope, straps and assorted bunjee cords. I used to carry my surfboards on the roof (not quite as long, around 9ft). With the Surf it's easier to open the tailgate window and chuck them in.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
      SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        I need a roof rack that is able to hold a 16' 2" long, 22" wide, 50.7 Lbs Kayak. Any one got any recommondations please??

Was looking at a Kayak rack from Thule, but looking at how close the bars would be on the roof, not sure they would do the job. I could do with a full roof box, but I don't want any holes drilled in the roof. Anyone carry a similar Kayak with their rack??
        I carry a 15' open canoe on the top of my Surf using two Thule bars that run between the doors. The boat sits perfectly on these and is very stable.

Getting the correct roof attachments was fun though. The supplier thought he new the part required, but checked with Thule and they recomended a different part. With that part the bars attach very securely.

The Thule parts used are:
        Key locks: 544
        Bars: 1118
        Foot pack: 750

Regards,
        Andrew
        Regards,
        Andrew
        G0RVM

Comment

Originally posted by asgawth
          I carry a 15' open canoe on the top of my Surf using two Thule bars that run between the doors. The boat sits perfectly on these and is very stable.

Getting the correct roof attachments was fun though. The supplier thought he new the part required, but checked with Thule and they recomended a different part. With that part the bars attach very securely.

The Thule parts used are:
          Key locks: 544
          Bars: 1118
          Foot pack: 750

Regards,
          Andrew

Nice one, cheers mate.

How much does your 15' canoe hang over the front or back? 16' 2" is quite long. Wondering if it will be too much on the overhang. I reckon the bars will only be about 2' 6" apart looking at where one has been fitted before.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Nice one, cheers mate.

How much does your 15' canoe hang over the front or back? 16' 2" is quite long. Wondering if it will be too much on the overhang. I reckon the bars will only be about 2' 6" apart looking at where one has been fitted before.
            Its about the same length as the Surf, but can't say I notice the overhand over the bonnet whilst driving...

I put the bars as far apart as will sensibly go. Think its nearer 3' that 2'6".

Andrew
            Regards,
            Andrew
            G0RVM

Comment

Working...
            X