Cheap calls via Skype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap calls via Skype

Have been looking at Skype telephone handsets (prices from £10 upto £70) with the view to setting an account up for the cheap international calls (£0.02 per minute)

Spotted on a web site that you could use a Bluetooth headset and Bluetooth USB dongle with the software so set it all up as I had the bits gathering dust having never used either headset nor dongle & whoooho it works a treat.

For those who don't know about Skype it's now owned by eBay and works via Broadband internet connection, it uses the internet connection to telephone other Skype users FREE & if you buy credit using SkypeOut you can call landlines/mobiles as you would using a normal landline/mobile with the big advantage of only £0.02 per minute (so if you call mobiles a lot on your landline it will save you a fortune)

As I said I only set it up last night (this is in preperation for our move to NZ) I bought £5.00 of credit using paypal (£5.85 with vat) so I can call landlines (big advantage over messenger you can telephone someone who isn't logged on to a PC at any time) I also bought 3 months worth of SkypeIn which allows people to call me while I'm sat in front of the laptop, this comes with free voice mail (if I happen to be out & about) this was £7.00 for 3 months with limited choice of telephone number (020 8123 5737 my new number)

Have now found out you don't even need the headset or handset as it will work with the speakers & mic on the laptop........pretty cool.

So if you get any frighteningly big telephone bills or have teenagers who are constantly calling there mates mobiles this may be a good cheap alternative.

The program sits in your task bar & pops up if you get a call, with the option to answer or ignore....it's really suprised me with how good it is.

Try it it may suprise you (I am in no way connected to Skype & have posted this so some of you may save some cash )
    Last edited by kazam401; 5 January 2006, 12:12.

Have just discovered that you can set up conference calls........good shout if any orginizing is needed & there is a Beta program for video calls

Comment

good program been using for a while. my other work number 020 81 23 24 23 runs through skype.
      theres also a program called skype headset which some people might want to look at. I bought it but dont use it now, bit of a pain on XP with certain headsets.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

is the software any better now? i used it ages ago, but it just made computer crash...
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          is the software any better now? i used it ages ago, but it just made computer crash...
          Not had any problems here Matt (yet) but the laptop is pretty hi spec

Comment

How are you finding the response times?
            I started using it nearly a year ago, and initially found it excellent from my broadband connection to my sister in Corfu on ISDN. Then I noticed it started to develop a lag in the conversation.
            Last time I tried it (about 4 months ago) was to another broadband connection in the UK and it had a lag of about a second rendering it too troublesome for me. Reminded me of trying to use net meeting about 6 years ago when broadband was unheard of!
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Obviously no real "quality of service" for data on BT pops/exchanges then...

Absolutely laughable. Charge us a fortune, then rip us off... why am I surprised.

Comment

perhaps a visit here is even better value
                FREE yep FREE to many countries land lines and the cheapest to 0845,0870 etc and possibly mobiles too
                I have no connection (bad choise of word) with this co. but have been using them with very little probs
                www.voipcheap.co.uk
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  I started using it nearly a year ago, and initially found it excellent from my broadband connection to my sister in Corfu on ISDN. Then I noticed it started to develop a lag in the conversation.
                  Last time I tried it (about 4 months ago) was to another broadband connection in the UK and it had a lag of about a second rendering it too troublesome for me. Reminded me of trying to use net meeting about 6 years ago when broadband was unheard of!
                  Not experienced any lag on cable broadband to landlines or mobiles, quality is as you would get from normal telephone calls. Haven't tried internet-internet yet so can't comment on quality of that.

I think the Skype handsets are just for peace of mind for people who know how to use a telephone (bit of a rip off really as you dont need them)

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                    perhaps a visit here is even better value
                    FREE yep FREE to many countries land lines and the cheapest to 0845,0870 etc and possibly mobiles too
                    I have no connection (bad choise of word) with this co. but have been using them with very little probs
                    www.voipcheap.co.uk
                    Just tried this one, it also works very well but the free calls only last for 60 seconds you can buy credit but i suppose 60 seconds is plenty of time to order a brew from the boss

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                      I have been using it for a few months, and have had a bit of time lag only from a slower Pc, or if the other person is running a load of different application, my brother tried to open Autoroute whilst talking and it just cut out.

Comment

ive tried this skype since hearing u lot talk about it.ive registered and im still waiting for the confirmation code to buy credit.its takin A G E S and doin my nut in now.did u guys have to wait ages or have i cocked it up?

Comment

IMPORTANT re voip

Originally posted by kazam401
                          Just tried this one, it also works very well but the free calls only last for 60 seconds you can buy credit but i suppose 60 seconds is plenty of time to order a brew from the boss
                          If you put some dosh in to cover the 0860,0845 and mobiles etc the 1 min(Iwas getting 2!) free calls go to 1 hour!!!!
                          So far for all calls £10 in august just put another tenner in...Bargain
                          and if you have a friend or whoever logged on with usernames in each others contact list you can talk for free PC to PC and keep your phone line free for incommers
                          I used to pay the jokers at BT over £60 per quarter in call fees...no more!!
                          another good cheap call provider is 18866, 3 or 4p connection charge, but no time based charges...a google search will find them.
                          try them for yourselves..I did I saved dosh....more cash to spend on 'the blue one!!
                          Tony

Comment

got it working now,quite impressed actually. just rang me mum up in the highlands of scotland for 20mins,cost about 50p.

Comment

Originally posted by a.plasterer
                              got it working now,quite impressed actually. just rang me mum up in the highlands of scotland for 20mins,cost about 50p.

could have cost nought see thread 13!!!!
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X