V8 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Conversion

Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a Rover V8 to Toyota manual adapter plate?

Dont want to go with any other engine. Rovers are common and easy to get bits for. Tried the usual suspects and still have no joy.

Any leads could help

Cheers guys
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Did you try these guys...?

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/fitting_v8.html

Comment

Nope, but I just this second found them and sent an email.

Cheers!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Try Vatchman,
        I beleive he was sticking a 5.0 Rover V8 into his one.....
        Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

make one...

bloke just replaced a v8 with a dihatsu deisel and made a cardboard template... took it to metal shop and they made one up... fitted good!

i know someone with a couple of spare V8s knocking about... dave got one off him for £100 (i think)... i could ask if you can't get one?... he's inbetween basingstoke and reading.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Danno , you must be the 4th person on here over the last couple of years to post regarding this . There is no adaptor bellhousing for Rover to Surf auto box . Someone needs to make the first one . The usual way is to get part of a Rover V8 bell housing and graft it to the autobox bell housing of the gearbox you want to use .

You need to get the alignment right etc or the torque convertor or box will fail . Tony made his own tailshaft adaptor to fit a B/W autobox to take the Hilux transfer box in his pickup(nice job too!!).

You need to talk to someone who can weld ally .

EDIT : something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-V8-LT77-...QQcmdZViewItem

This would be nice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ford-302-winds...QQcmdZViewItem
            Last edited by Vagrant No2; 4 January 2006, 22:15.
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Er Rick, read below!

Originally posted by Danno
              Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a Rover V8 to Toyota manual adapter plate?
              Not looking for an auto adapter!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Er Rick, read below!

Not looking for an auto adapter!

Opps , missed that bit . Can I have your autobox then ? I want to go auto in mine with a V8 of some desciption . In the future , along time in the future , in fact proberbly wont happen !

Still , Most seem to weld a mix of Toy and Rover bell housing to get the result . I remember Tony saying they were made but loads of money as fresh casting . Nigels is a half and half , and works fine .
                Have you consulted Mr Anglegrinder ?

Comment

Yes, spoke to tony, numerous times, he's prob getting bored with all the questions now! Lol!

I found what I've been looking for and its an ok price too.

Still would like to have the V8 on an Auto but it looks like too much work.

The Auto could be for sale, but not in the near future!
                  I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

And the solution you have come to is?

PS. there wasn't anything of interest on www.northwestoffroad.com ?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      And the solution you have come to is?

PS. there wasn't anything of interest on www.northwestoffroad.com ?
                      Yes NWOR could cater for a yank motor, but I'd rather go for Rover for now.

The plan is Rover V8, preferably a 3.9 but a 3.5 will do, probably tune it a little, fit a manual box. If I can find the necessary bits, gas conversion to ease the killer fuel economy.

Found a fitting kit, £395. Just need the motor now.

The rest you'll have to wait
                      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Looks like a fun project .... a v8 should be easy to aquire
                        are there many problems with the fuel tank or will you put the lpg tank there?
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Yes NWOR could cater for a yank motor, but I'd rather go for Rover for now.

The plan is Rover V8, preferably a 3.9 but a 3.5 will do, probably tune it a little, fit a manual box. If I can find the necessary bits, gas conversion to ease the killer fuel economy.

Found a fitting kit, £395. Just need the motor now.

The rest you'll have to wait
                          I spied a manual box in a breakers in Southampton from a V6 4runner if your looking for one.
                          Jez

Comment

Here you go , most of wot you need , I can get you the missing tranfer box stick http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

If your thinking of fitting LPg anyway why not stick with your diesel?
                              See my post here;http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...lpg+fumigation

You should be able to get almost as much from a 2.4 (FYI 124bhp@the wheels +about 170bhp@the crank) even if you don't get quite as much power as Rover V8 you'll have more torque, and that's what get's you up hills quicker - I can leave a mates 4.6 R**** R**** standing going up hill even with a load in the back.

Comment

Working...
                              X