The AA and phone credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AA and phone credit

I went out the other day and 5 miles from home I had steam coming from under the bonnet. I pulled over in the first available space. Got out and checked under the bonnet, there was too much steam and water to see what the problem was. Knowing the head problem for 2.4s I though I would call the AA out to sort it out rather than limp home after topping the coolant up.

I had taken my partners phone which is a pay as you go and had 5 pound of credit. Called the AA.....you are in a Q.....you are in a Q....5 minutes...10minutes....15 minutes.....phone goes dead....after many many bad words..... I looked at the phone, waiting in the Q had cost me 5 pounds of credit. I looked out of the window to see a bright yellow notice saying I had parked in a wheel clamping zone....Many more bad words were shouted....

I had no phone credit
    No water in the Truck
    Parked in a wheel clamping zone
    Dressed to be in an over heated shopping centre
    Taken all the warm clothes and sleeping bag out of the boot the night before

After I calmed down and while I could still feel my hands I sent a text with the Last 30p of credit to my house phone and half an hour later my partner called me.
    She called the AA from the house phone then they called me.
    I was told the wait could be three hours but they turned up 20 mins later and had me on the road 15 minutes later.

When I got home after visiting halfords for coolant I had to flush out the system and then re fill with coolant

All in all 4 hours wasted because of a split hose

Anyone know a freephone number for the AA from a moblie??

Mark

Originally posted by madcampbell
    I went out the other day and 5 miles from home I had steam coming from under the bonnet. I pulled over in the first available space. Got out and checked under the bonnet, there was too much steam and water to see what the problem was. Knowing the head problem for 2.4s I though I would call the AA out to sort it out rather than limp home after topping the coolant up.

I had taken my partners phone which is a pay as you go and had 5 pound of credit. Called the AA.....you are in a Q.....you are in a Q....5 minutes...10minutes....15 minutes.....phone goes dead....after many many bad words..... I looked at the phone, waiting in the Q had cost me 5 pounds of credit. I looked out of the window to see a bright yellow notice saying I had parked in a wheel clamping zone....Many more bad words were shouted....

I had no phone credit
    No water in the Truck
    Parked in a wheel clamping zone
    Dressed to be in an over heated shopping centre
    Taken all the warm clothes and sleeping bag out of the boot the night before

After I calmed down and while I could still feel my hands I sent a text with the Last 30p of credit to my house phone and half an hour later my partner called me.
    She called the AA from the house phone then they called me.
    I was told the wait could be three hours but they turned up 20 mins later and had me on the road 15 minutes later.

When I got home after visiting halfords for coolant I had to flush out the system and then re fill with coolant

All in all 4 hours wasted because of a split hose

Anyone know a freephone number for the AA from a moblie??

Mark

Try ere: http://www.theaa.com/aboutaa/contact.html - localrates me thinks
    Last edited by Gizmo; 31 December 2005, 18:11.
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
      Try ere: http://www.theaa.com/aboutaa/contact.html - localrates me thinks
      I should have pointed out this was a 0800 887766 from a land line is free
      but from my mobile it cost about 40p a minute all the time it was ringing it was costing me money hence getting cut off and having no credit left.

Comment

Odd that. I had to call the AA a while back, and although I got the standard "there may be a charge for this call" at the start of the call, there wasn't. I called the freephone number on my AA card.

According to the AA website, there is now a separate number for mobile phones, which is an 0845 number.

Emergency Breakdown Number
        0800 88 77 66
        From mobile phones: 08457 887766
        _______
        /_/ _ | 0\__
        \,...__,..._ /
        _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
          Odd that. I had to call the AA a while back, and although I got the standard "there may be a charge for this call" at the start of the call, there wasn't. I called the freephone number on my AA card.

According to the AA website, there is now a separate number for mobile phones, which is an 0845 number.
          I will try that number Thanks
          I called the AA to complain about profiting on my emergency and they said the only number was 0800 and that the fault was with my phone network and there policy for charging

Comment

I will try that number Thanks
            I called the AA to complain about profiting on my emergency and they said the only number was 0800 and that the fault was with my phone network and there policy for charging
            That is true, I'm afraid. It's the mobile network provider that charges for 'freefone' calls, but 40p a minute is steep!!!

What network are you on?? Maybe we should all boycott that one!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              That is true, I'm afraid. It's the mobile network provider that charges for 'freefone' calls, but 40p a minute is steep!!!

What network are you on?? Maybe we should all boycott that one!!
              O2

I have just tried the 08457 by ecosurf and that only costs same network ( 02) 4p a minute

Thanks eco
              Mark
              PS I hope not to call it that often!!

Comment

O2

I have just tried the 08457 by ecosurf and that only costs same network ( 02) 4p a minute

Thanks eco
                Mark
                PS I hope not to call it that often!!
                No worries Mark. I'm also on O2, so I've phonebooked that number just in case. Like you say, I hope I never need it!

In the spirit of goodwill of the new year and all that, if we see Surfs broken down, let's stop and offer some help. Could save some costly (and pointless) phone calls like this. Plus you could make some new friends.
                _______
                /_/ _ | 0\__
                \,...__,..._ /
                _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Working...
                X