Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to look for?? hmmmm....

hi, newbie here
    thinking of buying a surf and would like a few pointers/opinions if anyone will oblige me

would like the 3l TD manual.

what sort of things should i be looking at when i go looking at them?? i mean apart from obvious things like s/h and general condition???

Thanks

hi princess and welcome to the madhouse just make sure everything is working if your getting a 2nd gen then take it for a good run on loose ground so you can try out the 4wd and basically everything else is what you look for in any motor get service history if poss
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cheers just wondering if there was anything special to look for. you know if they are prone to rust in certain areas for example.

forgot to mention, im looking at one thats 10 years old. seems to be a few around on trader. is there any great difference between auto and manual MPG???

drive a scoob at the moment and im looking for something thats slightly more economical and practical to run along side it

Comment

Hi Princess,
        Try driving both the Manual and Auto before you make a final decision, i personally find the auto smooth as silk and much less hassle off road and towing etc than the manual and there are many more about than manuals.
        Make sure it starts easily from cold, expect some smoke to start with but it should run smooth almost immediately from cold, any misfiring or prolongued lumpy running from cold then i'd give it a miss.
        Don't expect a service history if it's a fresh import as a lot come into the country with it missing, but do make sure the cam belt, oil and filters and preferrably the coolant has been changed and is properly topped up.
        If it has aftermarket wheels/ttyres then put it on full lock and drive round in a circle both ways to check for rubbing if they are not standard size.
        Hope you find a nice one.
        French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by princessC83
          cheers just wondering if there was anything special to look for. you know if they are prone to rust in certain areas for example.

forgot to mention, im looking at one thats 10 years old. seems to be a few around on trader. is there any great difference between auto and manual MPG???

drive a scoob at the moment and im looking for something thats slightly more economical and practical to run along side it
          Hi Princess,

welcome to the madhouse.

Pardon me asking, what's a scoob like for economy ???

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I had a WRX before the Surf and i get similar Mpg. The Surf is a big lump.
            French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds
              I had a WRX before the Surf and i get similar Mpg. The Surf is a big lump.
              Maybe, but stoooooooopid here didn't realise that the scooby was THAT thirsty !

Trev

Comment

All depends on old dependable right foot being controlled by the grin...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                  All depends on old dependable right foot being controlled by the grin...
                  Hmmmmm know that feeling !!!!!

Trev

Comment

thanks for that. all useful stuff. scoob economy seems to be around 25 but has gone down to 19 with town driving

fuel economy doesnt concern me over much, im just after something bit more practical and i like the look of the surf. are they actually any good offroading aswell??

Comment

Originally posted by princessC83
                      are they actually any good offroading aswell??

Is the pope catholic ?

Trev

Comment

well ive never driven one so how would i actually know???

Comment

Have a look here.....
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/view_video.php

Comment

I didn't know there was a video section...!

Comment

try this... http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm good hunting!
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X