timing belt light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt light help

Hi I own a gen3 surf, ive had it for a year now and the timing belt light has come on at 50,000 miles when i bought the car they said the belt was changed. I have done some reserch on this the light i think should only come on at 100,000k approx 70,000 miles.
    just got a reply from the dealer on this as follows

Your car was serviced and cam belt replaced before you took delivery so the count should start from there. It may of been attempted to be re-set but it is rarely accurate. Also the speedo was electronically chipped so the cam belt timer is thrown out of sync anyway.

Just count the miles from delivery as it was changed at that time

is this true ALEX

Alex

dead right - the timing light is designed to come on at 100,000 kms (about 60,000 miles)

If it was changed when you bought it you should not have to change it until 60,000 miles following this change.

Just re-set the light (loads of info on the forum on how to do it) and make a note of when the 60,000 miles are up.

ta

hawaii
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

sounds a bit worrying.
      I would be wondering if the vehicle may have been clocked.
      Do you have any history? are you the first UK owner?
      Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Sounds like it's been clocked back 10,000 to me???????????????????????

Comment

I bought mine about 4 months ago, and I have a timing belt in the glove box that the dealer said was out of my truck when a mechanic changed the belt.

When my truck hit 100,000Kms, the light came on, the instant it hit 100,000. I might get it replaced anyway for peice of mind. I know the parts guy at Oxford Toyota. He said he might be able to get a Toyota Mechanic to do the job for me on a Saturday, for cash. I will get the valve timing checked at the same time. I can do most jobs myself, but I leave it to a garage to fit the timing belt. Then, if it goes early, you have some comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
            sounds a bit worrying.
            I would be wondering if the vehicle may have been clocked.
            Do you have any history? are you the first UK owner?
            Al.
            Most import vehicles, not just surfs are clocked before they even leave japan, and some are done at the docks before dealers buy them so even the dealers dont know, mine was clocked as it had a sticker under the bonnet that said the belt was changed at a certain mileage and it hadn't even reached it yet also the service history which was with with it when i viewed the vehicle was higher. the service history had dissappeared when i picked it up, funny that!!
            Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
              Most import vehicles, not just surfs are clocked before they even leave japan, and some are done at the docks before dealers buy them so even the dealers dont know, mine was clocked as it had a sticker under the bonnet that said the belt was changed at a certain mileage and it hadn't even reached it yet also the service history which was with with it when i viewed the vehicle was higher. the service history had dissappeared when i picked it up, funny that!!

Service history??????????????????????? ???

What service history??????????????????

Never had any docs when I bought mine. I just went on the condition, and used my experience and 6th sense to tell me that the truck was ok. It could have done enough miles to reach the moon, but she goes well, the engine hardly smokes, and is in as-new condition.

Unless you buy a vehicle BRAND NEW, don't even think it's done the indicated mileage. Even the computerised dashes can be changed, by a lap-top.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                I bought mine about 4 months ago, and I have a timing belt in the glove box that the dealer said was out of my truck when a mechanic changed the belt.

When my truck hit 100,000Kms, the light came on, the instant it hit 100,000. I might get it replaced anyway for peice of mind. I know the parts guy at Oxford Toyota. He said he might be able to get a Toyota Mechanic to do the job for me on a Saturday, for cash. I will get the valve timing checked at the same time. I can do most jobs myself, but I leave it to a garage to fit the timing belt. Then, if it goes early, you have some comeback.
                Don't think you've got much comeback if a mate of a mate is doing it for cash on a Saturday!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Pope
                  Don't think you've got much comeback if a mate of a mate is doing it for cash on a Saturday!!
                  spose its all according on how big you are and how small he is (still havnt seen the BURGUNDY one round the corner, so the invisibility shield must be working KID)
                  Black is still the most bestest looking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingj
                    Hi I own a gen3 surf, ive had it for a year now and the timing belt light has come on at 50,000 miles when i bought the car they said the belt was changed. I have done some reserch on this the light i think should only come on at 100,000k approx 70,000 miles.
                    just got a reply from the dealer on this as follows

Your car was serviced and cam belt replaced before you took delivery so the count should start from there. It may of been attempted to be re-set but it is rarely accurate. Also the speedo was electronically chipped so the cam belt timer is thrown out of sync anyway.

Just count the miles from delivery as it was changed at that time

is this true ALEX
                    There may be some truth in what the garage is saying, as it's a difficult job to reset the timing belt light on a 3rd gen, 'cos the dash needs to be taken apart to get to back of the speedo and a soldering iron needs to be used.

Comment

Working...
                    X